Anxiety Therapy in Sioux Falls, SD
It isn’t easy to explain what anxiety feels like to someone who hasn’t felt anxious themselves. In fact, it isn’t always easy to recognize and understand ourselves that what we’re experiencing is anxiety.
In a nutshell, anxiety is characterized by racing, out-of-control thoughts that overwhelm. Some people have anxious thoughts and feelings as they go about their day. They might feel anxious at work, at home, when talking to others, and in other scenarios, too. Other people have anxious thoughts and feelings in more specific circumstances. For example, people with social anxiety feel anxious when they interact with other people or are in a social setting.
These specifics can vary between one individual and another. One thing, though, is always true for those experiencing anxiety: Their racing thoughts are unpleasant and can interfere with a healthy, happy life. Fortunately, a mental health professional who is trained in anxiety treatment can help.
Thriveworks Counseling in Sioux Falls, SD is here to help you with your anxiety. We have therapists and psychologists on our team who specialize in the treatment of anxiety. They can offer anxiety therapy, which will involve working to better understand your anxiety, learning coping skills, identifying and practicing effective self-care techniques, and more. If you’d like to schedule an anxiety therapy appointment, call Thriveworks in Sioux Falls, SD.
What Type of Anxiety Do I Have?
If you’re feeling anxious and you’ve done any research before now, you’ve probably seen a few different anxiety disorders come up. There is the “primary” form of anxiety, which is one of the most common: generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). GAD is characterized by those racing, out-of-control thoughts in a range of day to day situations.
There are also other types of anxiety, which are characterized by anxious thoughts and feelings that are felt in more specific situations. Let’s look at a few of these other anxiety disorders:
- Social anxiety disorder: Social anxiety disorder, also known as social phobia, is characterized by anxiety felt in social situations. Individuals with social anxiety feel uncomfortable when around others and may experience other symptoms like a racing heart, sweating, and panic or impending doom.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): Many people don’t realize that PTSD is classified as an anxiety disorder. This type of anxiety is triggered after a traumatic experience including physical assault, mental abuse, or a natural disaster. Those with PTSD experience anxiety around their trauma and experience symptoms when triggered or reminded of the event.
- Panic disorder: As you can probably guess, panic disorder is characterized by panic attacks. Often, before diagnosed with panic disorder, sufferers mistake a panic attack for a heart attack. In addition, they feel completely at loss of control over their body.
Do you feel that any of the above disorders encompass how you’ve been feeling lately? Do you worry that you have an anxiety disorder? It’s important that you receive professional help. Receiving mental health help is just as normal and just as important as going to a doctor for a physical problem. If you’re suffering with anxious thoughts or feelings, we hope that you will consider reaching out to us so that we can help you.
Work with an Anxiety Therapist at Thriveworks in Sioux Falls, SD
You’re probably wondering, “How exactly can a Sioux Falls anxiety therapist help?” There are a few main goals that our anxiety therapists have for their clients. They want to help you…
- Get to the bottom of your anxiety. For example, they’ll help you understand what triggers anxious thoughts and feelings.
- Better manage your anxious thoughts and feelings. They’ll offer coping strategies that help with your specific presentation of anxiety.
- Obtain the proper medication, if needed. Anti-anxiety medication can lessen symptoms of anxiety while individuals work with their therapist to gain control of their thoughts again. Your anxiety therapist will work with a psychiatrist to ensure you receive the proper medication, if they determine that it may be a good fit for you.
These are just a few of the big goals that our therapists have for you. Once they assess your specific presentation and needs, they’ll be able to design a plan for treatment that’s customized for you.
If this sounds like something you’re interested in exploring, reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in Sioux Falls, SD. We can get you set up for your first appointment immediately.