Career responsibilities are often a major source of anxiety, as are difficult family relationships, changes in living arrangements, and traumatic events. Sometimes, anxiety can be fleeting but other times, the feelings can stay with us for months or years. While anxiety is the body’s natural response to stress, anxiety symptoms can become a normal part of your life. If that’s true for you, it may be time to reach out for help.
Unfortunately, some people with anxiety feel reluctant to reach out for professional support. They might be embarrassed to admit they have a problem, or they may think their problem is not severe enough to warrant therapy. They may feel like they should be able to “shrug off” their issues and move on with their life.
The truth is, suffering from mental issues is nothing to be ashamed of. Millions of people struggle with anxiety disorders, including celebrities like Selena Gomez. The pop singer has been open about her experience with depression and anxiety and has been a passionate advocate for professional counseling ever since it’s helped her get her life back on track.
If your anxiety is getting in the way of your life, consider taking the first step by reaching out to us at Thriveworks in San Rafael, CA. We treat anxiety in all its shapes and sizes and look forward to helping you take control of your mental health again.
What Are the Most Common Anxiety Symptoms?
A little bit of anxiety every so often is natural and even helpful. It can keep you alert when there’s danger, encourage you to reach your goals, and push you to perform your best. But if you are experiencing anxiety symptoms that are getting in the way of your ability to enjoy life to the fullest, you may want to consider scheduling a therapy session with one of our licensed mental health professionals.
Here are some signs that will let you know when it may be time to reach out:
- Excessive worrying
- Irrational worries or fears
- Difficulty sleeping
- Trouble concentrating
- Increased heart rate and palpitations
- Sweating and hot flashes
- Trembling and shaking
- Chest pains and shortness of breath
- Feelings of terror and doom
The type of symptoms you experience may depend on the type of anxiety you have. Those who struggle with panic disorder may experience panic attacks while those with social anxiety may feel an overwhelming fear of situations where they could be judged.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, do not hesitate to contact us at Thriveworks in San Rafael, CA. Our therapists and counselors are trained to help you manage your symptoms and bring some peace and stability back into your life.
How Can Anxiety Therapy Help Me?
The mental health professionals at Thriveworks in San Rafael, CA are trained to customize treatment depending on the symptoms you experience, your lifestyle, and your goals. Some people benefit from talk therapy or self-care adjustments while others benefit from medication.
Here are some common treatment options:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT is a type of talk therapy that aims to identify and challenge negative thoughts and replace them with healthier thinking patterns.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT): DBT is a type of CBT that helps clients learn coping mechanisms to better regulate their emotions and mitigate self-destructive behaviors.
- Relaxation techniques: Clients can learn meditation techniques, mindfulness tactics, and deep breathing exercises to reduce anxiety symptoms both inside and outside the office.
- Biofeedback training: Biofeedback training uses sensors to monitor heart rate, muscle tension, and other physical reactions to help clients recognize anxiety responses and learn how to better control them.
- Prescription medication: In some instances, drugs such as sedatives and anti-anxiety medications may be prescribed to help control anxiety symptoms or address underlying chemical issues.
To get a treatment plan customized to your situation, contact us at Thriveworks in San Rafael, CA to speak to our mental health professionals.
Starting Anxiety Counseling at Thriveworks in San Rafael, CA
For people with anxiety, even the littlest stressor can feel overwhelming. That’s why we make it as easy as possible to get started on your road to wellness.
Call to schedule an appointment and we’ll find you a time slot that works for you, whether that’s during the workday, in the evenings, or on the weekend. You can also enjoy the choice of telemedicine appointments or in-person therapy sessions, whichever you prefer.
We accept insurance and give clients the ability to reach out to their provider in between appointments by phone or email. You can also handle billing and scheduling matters via text message, take advantage of our library of educational resources, and join our discussion forums to connect with other Thriveworks clients.
If anxiety has been preventing you from leading the life you want to live, it may be time to make a change. Call Thriveworks in San Rafael, CA to book your first anxiety counseling session today.