Do you have a favorite romantic comedy? A romance novel you read once a year? A love story that makes you cry whenever you hear it?
Maybe it’s a classic tale like Pride and Prejudice, the recent drama Carol, or a light-hearted film like 10 Things I Hate About You. The couples in these stories are beyond compelling; they’ve got great chemistry, breathtaking lines, and stories that follow a fairly straightforward formula.
In reality, beginning and maintaining a healthy relationship takes a lot of work. Real relationships are not always made of moonlit strolls, breakfast in bed, and thoughtful anniversary gifts. Normal couples experience setbacks, disagreements, and emotional distance from time to time.
It’s normal to need space from your partner or struggle to compromise on certain issues. But you don’t need to navigate challenging conversations and complicated issues on your own. A trusted couples therapist can provide you with expert guidance, new perspectives, and useful techniques for strengthening your connection.
At Thriveworks Counseling in Ogden, UT, couples counseling and therapy is available online and in-person. If you’re ready to resolve your relationship issues, call our friendly scheduling team to schedule your first couples counseling or therapy appointment today.
What Issues Can a Couples Counselor Address?
Contrary to popular belief, conflict is not the only reason people seek relationship counseling. Just as every couple has a unique history, they also face different obstacles to their happiness.
Common reasons to consult a couples therapist or counselor include:
- Poor communication
- Differing parenting styles
- Reigniting your “spark”
- Financial challenges
- Lack of intimacy
- Shared loss or grief
- Major life transitions
- Infidelity or betrayal of trust
- Addiction or substance abuse
You may have additional needs within your relationship or be experiencing other specific issues, depending on the stage your relationship is in. A newly-engaged couple may have very different needs than one that’s been married for ten years.
A licensed marriage and family therapist can help nurture relationships at every stage. Whether you’re considering raising children, moving to another city, or coping with a sudden tragedy, a counselor or therapist from Thriveworks in Ogden, UT can help.
Therapy Sessions for Couples: Benefits and Methods
Most couples report that working with a therapist or counselor improves their relationships, mental health, and even other parts of their lives. During couples therapy, you may be asked to share your concerns, needs, and goals. This involves speaking about your past, sharing honestly, and making meaningful reflections on your behavior.
You can expect to work closely with your counselor or therapist to determine which therapeutic methods will best serve your relationship. As your sessions unfold, a counselor may use therapeutic methods such as:
- The Gottman Method: This approach provides new insight into your partner’s needs, desires, emotions, and way of thinking. It focuses on helping couples resolve conflict by addressing specific issues that prevent strong emotional ties: criticism, contempt, defensiveness, and stonewalling.
- Narrative therapy: This model asks you to tell “the story” of your relationship. In doing so, you may discover new solutions to old problems and accept that your relationship is not defined by its weakest moments.
- Emotionally-focused couples therapy (EFT): This method can be particularly helpful if mental health concerns have a role in your relationship woes. EFT aims to expand your emotional responses and secure closer bonds between you and your partner.
The benefits of couples therapy don’t end when your counseling session does. Couples can implement new communication skills and collaborative problem-solving techniques on a regular basis, rather than waiting for specific tensions to resurface. The skills to cope with your tough relationship issues are within reach –– Thriveworks in Ogden, UT can show you how to put them to work.
Schedule a Couples Therapy Appointment at Thriveworks in Ogden, UT
Couples in any stage of their relationship can benefit from counseling or therapy provided by a skilled and caring mental health professional. If your relationship has met a hurdle you’re unable to clear, consider working with a licensed marriage and family therapist at Thriveworks Counseling in Ogden, UT.
We offer appointments seven days a week at convenient times, including weekday evenings. Online appointment options are also available via phone calls and video chat. New clients are often accommodated quickly and you may be able to meet with a provider within 24 to 48 hours.
You’ll have access to expert-level providers, premium benefits, and technologies that help you get the most out of your therapy sessions. You can look forward to benefits such as:
- Compassionate providers who accept many insurance plans
- Phone and email access to providers between appointments
- Text message assistance available for all booking and billing services
- A 24-hour Q+A service with a life coach
- Exclusive video content from leaders in the counseling field
When you’re ready to overcome the issues that are creating space between you, Thriveworks Counseling in Ogden, UT is ready to help. Get started by calling or using our online booking tool to schedule your first appointment. We look forward to helping you and your partner thrive together for years to come.