Depression can halt life as you know it. One day, you might love everything about your life, from your job, to your friends and family members, hobbies, and other day to day activities. A month later, you might struggle to get out of bed. You might feel completely disinterested in going to work, in talking to your loved ones, in going to the gym or even the grocery store. In addition, you might suffer from lack of sleep, changes in appetite, weight loss, feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness.
As you can see, depression can uproot the life that you know and love. Often, those who develop depression don’t know what to do about it or fail to identify it for what it is. Fortunately, though, when one does take notice of their changes in mood, behaviors, and motivation, they can find the right help in depression therapy.
There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.”
Depression therapy can help individuals 1) better understand what might have caused their depression, 2) manage their specific depression symptoms, and 3) get back to the person and the life that they once knew. If you’ve developed symptoms of depression, please talk to a medical professional. Thriveworks Norfolk Counseling has depression therapists who specialize in helping people just like you. These professionals know the ins and outs of this mental illness, and they’ll help you find success in working your way out of it. Managing your depression might feel impossible right now, but we’re here to tell you that it can be done. And we’ll help you do it.
How Will a Depression Therapist Help Me?
As we mentioned above, depression therapy aims to help people better manage their depression, including their specific symptoms. In talking to a counselor about how you feel and what you’ve gone through, you can better understand what might have led to your depressive state as well as how you can climb out of it.
We want to reiterate that your time in depression therapy will be a personalized experience. Your therapist will focus on meeting your specific needs. Now, that said, the following techniques are commonly helpful in depression therapy:
- Reframing negative thinking using cognitive behavioral therapy
- Addressing the specific issue, such as a breakup
- Employing behavioral skills
- Understanding any triggers of depression
- Working to understand any and all emotions
You can look forward to working with a Thriveworks Norfolk depression therapist in a nonjudgmental space, be it in office or online.
Help with Combatting Depression: 3 Self-Care Tips
In addition to working with a depression therapist, there are things you can do on your own that will help you combat and/or manage your depression. Here are a few self-care tips that can prove beneficial to anyone:
- Exercise and eat well. We know—you’ve heard this a hundred times before, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t important. In fact, that only highlights its importance! Taking care of your body is incredibly important, for your physical health and your mental health. Be sure to exercise and eat well when you can, and we bet you’ll see a huge improvement in your overall wellbeing, mood, and happiness.
- Seek support from your loved ones. You don’t have to feel ashamed of any feelings you might be experiencing. Chances are, your friends and/or family members have been there too. Don’t be afraid to open up to your loved ones and seek support from them when you’re having a bad day.
- Do something you enjoy. What do you enjoy doing in your free time? Do you have a hobby? If you don’t, you should pick one up. Simply engaging in activities that we enjoy can have a huge impact on our mental health. Try doing something creative or outdoors for added mental health benefits!
We know that navigating your depression isn’t easy. You might feel hopeless and as if you’re dealing with an illness that is completely unmanageable. But remember: depression is manageable and highly treatable. And we are here to help you get it under control.
Schedule a Depression Therapy Session at Thriveworks Norfolk Counseling
Depression therapy is available at Thriveworks Norfolk Counseling today. When you call to schedule your appointment, a scheduling specialist will help you find a day and time that works with your schedule. We have flexible options, including:
- Online counseling by phone and video
- Daytime and evening appointments
- Weekday and weekend appointments
Choose what suits your needs. We’re happy to accommodate you. If you’re ready to schedule your first depression therapy session at Thriveworks Norfolk, just call our office.