Anxiety Therapy in Norfolk, VA — Therapists, Counselors, and Psychologists
What’s life without a little anxiety? We might feel anxious when we are getting test results back after weeks of studying. We also might feel anxious when our bosses call us into their office to talk. Or we could feel anxious when driving across a bridge at night. Everyone has anxiety – it’s built into our human makeup to help protect ourselves from danger. However, there are major differences between feeling anxious for a specific occasion and struggling with an anxiety disorder.
- Do you find yourself overly fatigued after a day of excessive worry, even if you weren’t super busy?
- Is it hard for you to attend work functions for fear of meeting new people?
- Does your anxiety prohibit you from doing regular things such as driving, showing up for work at a normal time, or leaving your house even if you didn’t get to a few of your chores?
If you could relate to any of these questions, you might be battling an anxiety disorder. Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Millions of adults in the United States battle mental illnesses such as anxiety every year. If you have accepted that this is the way you have to live, we have good news – you don’t have to anymore. The anxiety therapists and counselors at Thriveworks Norfolk Counseling can help you manage and overcome your anxiety and stress. Take back your life. We’re ready to help you.
Signs and Symptoms of Anxiety
There are many different shapes and sizes when it comes to anxiety. No matter the type of anxiety you have, chances are you’ll experience a range of different symptoms that are associated with mental illness. Those who struggle with anxiety generally worry more days than not. You might be experiencing:
- Lack of concentration
- Racing thoughts
- Excessive sweating
- Insomnia or hypersomnia
These symptoms aren’t fun and can make your daily living difficult. If you are experiencing these symptoms and they’re prohibiting you from doing daily activities, you might have some type of anxiety disorder.
What are the Types of Anxiety?
If the symptoms on the list above sound all too familiar with you, we can help. Your Thriveworks Norfolk Counseling anxiety therapist will be able to sit down with you and determine what category your anxiety falls under. Not only that, but they will also be able to offer you the tools, skills, and support you need to better manage your symptoms and get back on track to living the life you want.
The reason why you have anxiety isn’t always clear. Some people are just prone to it, others have gone through stressful situations that have caused them anxiety. Whatever the case, we can help you find the root cause of your illness and help you move forward. There are several different types of anxiety, including:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Otherwise known as GAD, this disorder is characterized by chronic anxiety and tension, even when there is nothing to provoke it.
- Social Anxiety Disorder: Also referred to as Social Phobia, social anxiety disorder is when you feel an overwhelming amount of anxiousness in everyday social situations. You may have symptoms of anxiety when eating or drinking in front of others, engaging in casual conversation, or having to present during a meeting at work.
- Panic Disorder: This is when you have feelings of fear and chest pain, shortness of breath, and dizziness that is unexpected. Many people mistake panic disorder for a heart attack.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): This is an anxiety disorder that comes about after someone has gone through a traumatic event such as physical assaults, neglect, natural disasters, or military combat. PTSD can be triggered by events that remind people of their trauma.
These are just some of the major types of anxiety disorders. Your Thriveworks Norfolk counselor will help you determine which forms of anxiety you have in order to create a treatment plan that’s based on your specific needs. We want you to know that there is hope for your mental illness. It doesn’t have to control your life. You can take back control and start living a full, successful life with a little extra help.
Get Started with an Anxiety Therapist at Thriveworks Norfolk, VA
We are dedicated and client-focused at Thriveworks Norfolk and are ready to help get you started as soon as possible. When you are ready to take the next step on this journey, give us a call at (757) 317-4315. One of our scheduling specialists will work with you to find an appointment time that best fits your schedule. We offer flexible scheduling options and offer evening and weekend appointments in addition to our regular daytime hours. Our office also has online counseling available that has many other great benefits. Whatever option you choose, know that you will receive the best care possible here with us. We look forward to meeting you.