Every last one of us has a bad day here and there: We’re criticized by our boss for something a coworker did; we get into a fight with our best friend; we worry obsessively about our kid who’s been acting out at school. Some of us, though, have bad days every day and we can’t really pinpoint why. We just wake up, day after day, feeling sad, hopeless, and uninterested in the day that lies ahead.
“Depression is the most unpleasant thing I have ever experienced. It is that absence of being able to envisage that you will ever be cheerful again. The absence of hope. That very deadened feeling, which is so very different from feeling sad. Sad hurts, but it’s a healthy feeling. It is a necessary thing to feel. Depression is very different.” –J.K. Rowling
Those of us who wake up feeling sad, hopeless, uninterested, unexcited, and unmotivated show symptoms of depression. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), that’s about 300 million people every single year. This shows just how prevalent depression is as well as how important treatment for depression is.
One effective form of treatment for depression is counseling. Depression counseling has proven to help people manage their symptoms and live a happier life again. If you feel depressed or are experiencing symptoms of depression, consider working with a depression counselor at Thriveworks Newark. We have providers who have specific skills and knowledge in helping people to manage and overcome their depression. Call (302) 724-6662 today to schedule an appointment.
Identifying Depression: Signs and Symptoms
Depression can easily drown out all hope and happiness from an individual’s life. Fortunately, though, there are effective treatment measures out there like counseling. Countless studies from over the past 20 years have shown over and over again that counseling helps people to recover from even the most severe cases.
The first step in getting treatment for depression is identifying potential signs of depression. While your answers to these questions can’t confirm whether or not you are depressed, they can help you better understand the need for concern. Consider:
- Have you been feeling down most of the day, nearly every day, for at least a couple of weeks?
- Lately, are you bothered by things that don’t usually bother you or haven’t bothered you before?
- Do you have more aches and pains than normal?
- Are you having trouble concentrating?
- Is it hard for you to fall or stay asleep at night?
- Has your appetite or weight changed significantly?
- Have you been withdrawing from others, even your loved ones?
- Do you feel uninterested in activities you used to love and enjoy?
- Do day to day tasks take too much effort to accomplish?
- Does your future look or feel hopeless?
Did you answer “yes” to several or more of these questions? Remember, counseling can help. If you are experiencing depression symptoms (depicted in the questions above) reach out to Thriveworks Newark. Our depression counselors want to help you manage these symptoms and ultimately live a happier, healthier life.
Schedule with a Depression Counselor at Thriveworks Newark
Depression has a major impact on those directly suffering with it as well as their loved ones. If you think you are depressed, it’s important that you get the help you need as soon as possible so you can heal and live better. We can offer that help and support you need; call Thriveworks Newark today to schedule an appointment. You will receive our premium mental health counseling benefits, which include:
- Quick scheduling: When you call, a scheduling specialist will help you set up an appointment right then and there. They won’t put you on a waiting list, like many other counseling practices.
- Flexible session opportunities: You’ll also be given many flexible appointments to choose from. In addition to daytime, weekday appointments, we offer evening and weekend appointments, too!
- Caring, skilled providers: We pride ourselves on working with the best of the best providers. You can trust that the counselors at Thriveworks Newark are skilled, highly trained, experienced mental health professionals.
Call (302) 724-6662 today to set up a session with one of our depression counselors. They’re ready to begin when you are.