Marshall and Vanna are siblings—but they’ve refused to speak to each other for two years. It’s an unspoken resentment, the result of one particularly heated, politically-charged Thanksgiving Dinner. As the months roll by, they both secretly wish the tension could be dissolved but talking it through seems to require a certain level of impartiality that neither of them wants to give in to.
But after considering their kids, the rest of the family, and their own close connection, Marshall realizes that he and his sister need to resolve their differences. It’s time to get past it all; that’s why Marshall is reaching out to a family therapist to help them both. He hopes that with a professional’s unbiased support, they’ll be better able to communicate, trust, and grow as siblings.
Like Marshall and Vanna, you might also be wishing to resolve your family’s tension with the help of a family therapist. At Thriveworks in Morgantown, WV our family therapists are here to help you ensure that you and your relatives can work through the issues that are holding you back. Give us a call, or go online to schedule an introductory appointment today.
Should My Family See a Family Counselor? How Can It Help?
Families are a source of companionship and support, as well as comfort and respect. However, when these close relationships turn sour, boundaries of respect and healthy communication can be crossed. Still, there’s no universal method for determining if your family needs relationship counseling, but some common signs and warnings include:
- Stress from caring for a disabled or elderly member
- Deaths within the family that have occurred without time to process the event
- One or more family members struggling with PTSD
- Undiagnosed behavioral issues
- Residual anger or resentment between relatives over perceived wrongs or shortcomings
- Communication skills that aren’t fully developed, resulting in constant arguments and bickering
- Addiction to drugs or alcohol in response to stress
- Untreated or potentially undiagnosed mental illness or disorders that family members are suffering from, like ADHD or depression
How Can a Family Therapist Help Me?
Common fears include being ostracized from other relatives by the counselor, or that the counselor will choose sides or chastise them for their shortcomings. But our mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Morgantown, WV aren’t going to judge you or try to divide you all. Instead, their interests are to highlight the positive aspects of your relationships by helping you work through negative situations. Teaming up with a family counselor can be a great way to:
- Strengthen your relationship with your loved ones by utilizing a safe space for each of you to speak candidly about your experience
- Foster compassion and encourage compromise toward one another
- Improve your communication skills and become a better listener
- Create stronger boundaries of respect and encourage compromise
- Get treatment for previously undiagnosed mental illness
- Take advantage of a counselor’s presence—a neutral third party that allows for more balanced dialogue and candid discussion
And as long as everyone has reliable internet and somewhere private to attend the session, you can even book virtual family therapy sessions, for the ultimate in convenience and discretion. Your personal information will still be kept confidential—online counseling still follows the same strict guidelines from the APA and HIPAA as our in-person sessions.
Schedule a Family Therapy Session Today at Thriveworks in Morgantown, WV
We understand that you might still feel uncertain about talking with a family counselor about your private family life. But rest assured, their number one goal is promoting better mental health for you and your family. Plus, our family counseling services are also available virtually. If you and your family members are separated by distance, come together as a group for online counseling with your provider.
So, give us a call to enroll when you and your relatives are ready. When you do, you’ll be assisted in every step of the process by our scheduling specialists, standing by seven days a week. With their help, you can easily set up your insurance to cover costs, find a provider (even if there’s no one local), and find the perfect session time to fit everyone’s schedule. Enrolling also gives you access to:
- Our Q&A with Thriveworks life coaches
- Access to our ebook, “Leaving Depression Behind” and other valuable electronic resources
- Weekend and evening availability
- No waitlist for appointments
- Flexible cancellations
Hostility, resentment, and anxiety don’t need to rule the interactions between you and your loved ones. Call Thriveworks in Morgantown, WV. One of our family counselors is waiting, and with their support, your family can enjoy healthier relationships and better mental health.