It’s normal to feel sad sometimes. Maybe you regret losing a favorite family heirloom, or missing out on a big social event. Maybe you miss someone from your childhood, or you just feel a vague sense of loneliness. But when feelings of sadness worsen or stick around for extended periods of time, it might be an indication that you’re depressed.
Psychologists define clinical depression not as a specific symptom, but as a cluster of them. One of those symptoms must be an enduring depressed mood. If you have been enduring a persistent feeling of sadness plus four or more of the following symptoms, a mental health provider may diagnose you with depression:
- Significant, unintentional weight loss or gain
- A reduction of physical movement and a slowing down of thought
- Fatigue or energy loss
- Reduced ability to concentrate or indecisiveness
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Frequent thoughts of death and/or suicidal ideation (Note: please contact a crisis center immediately if you are experiencing this symptom.)
Depression counseling at Thriveworks in Modesto, CA can help you address these symptoms and help you regain your momentum. Our depression counselors use a wide variety of treatments and techniques to help break through your mood disorder and even help prevent depressive episodes from occurring in the future.
3 Ways Depression Might Show Up in Everyday Life
What does depression actually look like in everyday life? Here are three examples of people struggling with depression:
- George hated his job, but he couldn’t quit his job because then he’d be unemployed, and all of his friends and family members would find out that he was unemployed, then George would feel more worthless than ever. And plus, who else would hire him? So George continued to wake up every morning and stare despondently at the ceiling, not wanting to get out of bed.
- Becca missed her husband, who traveled a lot for work. Every time he flew across the country for one of his business trips, Becca worried that he was cheating on her. She felt unattractive and unwanted. When she experienced these painful feelings, the only thing that made her feel better was food.
So Becca ate her feelings of loneliness, which gave her temporary relief. After her binges, she just felt worse about herself and the cycle started over. She felt like she was a failure because she couldn’t control her eating. She felt like she was lacking a life of her own, independent from her husband. She felt lost and felt paralyzed to take the first step toward improving her life.
- Maddie had been trying to have a baby for years, and when she finally gave birth, she was thrilled. At first she loved every aspect of being a mom. But then she started feeling inexplicably sad and overwhelmed while she was breastfeeding or giving her newborn a bath. She began crying unpredictably, out of nowhere, and couldn’t seem to explain why. Sometimes she thought that her baby would’ve been better off with a different mother who wasn’t such an emotional wreck.
Depression can manifest in all kinds of ways. You may not even recognize the symptoms in yourself if you’ve become habituated to them. Symptoms can be major or mild. Depression doesn’t have to reach crisis mode to be treatable.
Online Treatment for Depression
When you’re depressed, it can be hard to get motivated to visit a depression counselor in person. This usually requires getting out of bed, putting on clothes, brushing your teeth—all the mundane tasks that may seem overly daunting when you’re in the throes of depression.
Fortunately you can schedule an online appointment with a depression therapist at Thriveworks in Modesto, CA. This means that you get to see your counselor or psychiatrist virtually, from the comfort of your own home. For many clients this online option can be the decisive factor in deciding whether or not to seek treatment. Thriveworks wants to make mental health as convenient as possible.
Depending on what kind of depression you’re diagnosed with, and your medical history, a depression therapist at Thriveworks in Modesto, CA might propose different treatment options:
- Lifestyle changes like improved diet and exercise
- Psychiatric medication overseen by a Thriveworks psychiatrist
- Interpersonal therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Family or couples therapy
- Substance abuse treatment
These treatment options are by no means mutually exclusive. Many clients benefit from a blend of two or more.
Get Matched with the Best Depression Counselor at Thriveworks in Modesto, CA
The Thriveworks office in Modesto, CA opens early and closes late so we can be there in person to answer your phone call. We can match you to a depression counselor quickly and get you seen by your mental health provider in as few as 24-48 hours.
It’s hard to overstate the benefits of enrolling with Thriveworks. Not only do you get phenomenal support from your top-rated, fully licensed, highly trained depression counselor in your therapy sessions, but you also get to call or email them for free between appointments. Thriveworks providers are always on call to answer your questions. And Thriveworks accepts medical insurance for both online and in-person therapy appointments, making treatment more affordable than ever.
Call today to meet the Thriveworks counselor who might help change your life.