Sam and Lily adored each other, and they were committed to staying in their five-year-old marriage no matter what, but they also fought. A lot. Sam had grown up with a verbally abusive mother and he was extremely sensitive to changes in Lily’s tone of voice. Sometimes he’d get upset at Lily when she was too busy to respond to Sam’s bids for attention. He’d feel dismissed and rejected when Lily told him impatiently to just wait a minute, even though Lily didn’t mean anything by it. Her mind was just absorbed elsewhere. And when Sam felt dismissed, he got irritable, which made Lily defensive, which caused them to argue. They couldn’t seem to change this entrenched pattern no matter how hard they tried. They made the mutual decision that it was time to see a couples counselor.
Couples and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Modesto, CA are on a different level than your friends who might have read The Five Love Languages and Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus and like to give you unsolicited relationship advice over dinner (bless their hearts). In contrast, professional relationship therapists are highly trained to help identify hidden dynamics in couples and help improve overall communication. If you and your partner are interested in working with this kind of professional, consider reaching out to Thriveworks in Modesto, CA – we can help you schedule your first couples therapy or marriage counseling session.
Signs That Your Marriage Could Benefit from Professional Support
Being a human is hard. But being a human within a couple or a marriage is arguably harder. Then you have not one, but two complicated psyches to deal with, and they don’t always harmonize. Here are some signs that your marriage or intimate relationship could benefit from professional support from a counselor at Thriveworks in Modesto, CA:
- You seem to repeat the same argument over and over again without making any emotional progress.
- Communication between you and your spouse has broken down to the point where you’ve not having meaningful conversations at all. (And “Take out the trash” does not count as meaningful.)
- When you and your spouse do communicate, it always seems to be negative
- Your sex life has changed beyond the normal fluctuations.
- Someone is keeping a secret, or you’re both keeping secrets.
- You’re considering infidelity or someone is being unfaithful.
- One or both of you feel(s) indifferent.
- Someone is lying about money or spending habits.
Just because you notice signs that your relationship could use some special attention, doesn’t mean that it’s broken. This is the best time for relationship counselors and marriage therapists to swoop in and help figure out what’s going on. Couples therapists at Thriveworks in Modesto, CA are trained to see and understand the perspectives of both parties. The point of therapy isn’t to determine who’s “right” and who’s “wrong.” An exceptional therapist can help deepen everyone’s understanding of each other’s strengths and vulnerabilities – and enhance intimate bonds along the way.
How Can Couples Therapy Improve My Marriage?
A marriage counselor at Thriveworks in Modesto, CA will want to know about your and your partner’s goals for your therapy sessions. There is no correct or incorrect response to what you hope for your appointments to accomplish. Common objectives include:
- I want to learn how to compromise.
- I want to get our “spark” back.
- I want to feel appreciated.
- I want to learn to control my anger.
- I want to stop fighting.
- I don’t want our kids to model our unhealthy relationship patterns.
- I want to get to the root of our problems.
- I want to have more/better sex.
- I want to spend more quality time together.
- I want us to communicate better.
- I want to know if we should get a divorce.
- I want to heal after my spouse’s affair.
- I don’t want to feel neglected anymore.
- I want new strategies for solving problems.
- I want my partner to face their substance abuse issues.
- I want to get through this particularly challenging time.
A couples therapist recognizes that it takes great strength to book an appointment with a specialist. It’s brave to ask for help. These therapists are here to listen to your goals and help you understand each other using expert techniques. A marriage counselor isn’t there to take one partner’s side or another. They’re trained to see the perspective of each partner and help read between the lines of what’s not being expressed. Every couple has blind spots, and an exceptional therapist at Thriveworks may have the insight to identify underlying conflicts and beliefs.
Find the Best Licensed Couples Counselor in Modesto, CA
You don’t have to go far to find the best licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) in Modesto, CA. The Thriveworks office opens early and stays open late so you can book your first appointment with a top-rated, highly trained counselor today. You could have your first session—either in-person or online—as early as tomorrow. (Our enrollment benefits include sessions in as few as 24-48 hours.) We don’t rely on automated systems or online intake forms to make provider appointments at Thriveworks. Real humans are waiting to take your call and get you enrolled in these excellent services. Book your first session with an exceptional marriage counselor today. We look forward to hearing from you!