Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses in the United States. The mood disorder affects millions of people every single year and the chances are high that you know someone personally who suffers or has suffered from its symptoms.
Perhaps that person is you. Are you experiencing persistent feelings of sadness? Are you having trouble concentrating? Have you developed a disinterest in the people and activities you once used to love?
If you are showing signs of a depressive disorder, consider seeking depression counseling so you can take control of your life again. Depression can be an exhausting, debilitating, and disruptive mental health condition but you don’t have to go through this process alone. Our licensed depression counselors are trained to identify and help treat any feelings of depression you may be experiencing.
When you are ready to take the first step to recovery, our team at Thriveworks Counseling in Lehi, UT is here to help.
The Most Common Kinds of Depressive Disorders
Depression can take many forms and have a multitude of contributing factors. It can be triggered by significant life events, such as the loss of a loved one or a job disruption. Serious illness or family conflict can also play a role. A family history of depression or certain genetic predispositions might raise your risk as well.
The specific symptoms you experience can depend on many different things, including the kind of depressive disorder you face. Some of the most common types of depression include:
- Major depressive disorder: Considered the most diagnosed form of depression, major depressive disorder is characterized by a variety of symptoms, notably a feeling of overwhelming sadness. Other symptoms can include fatigue or insomnia, loss of appetite and excessive guilt, or feelings of worthlessness.
- Persistent depressive disorder: This is a chronic condition with symptoms lasting for more than two years. Sadness is a primary symptom of persistent depressive disorder. Others can include a lack of concentration, difficulty making decisions, or hopelessness.
- Adjustment disorder with depressed mood: This form of depression often involves a trigger, such as a stressful life event. That event doesn’t have to be negative; positive life changes such as a job promotion or the birth of a child can be triggers as well.
- Postpartum depression: This goes beyond the “baby blues” that many women feel after giving birth. Mothers whose feelings of inadequacy, anxiety, or exhaustion are more acute after the birth of a child may be more susceptible to this kind of depression.
If you are suffering depressive episodes, the counselors at Thriveworks in Lehi, UT are here to help determine which course of action would work best for you.
How Does Depression Counseling Work?
Millions of people suffering from depression seek out counseling or undergo some form of therapy. Why is it helpful? By recognizing the triggers and factors that contribute to your symptoms, you can take positive steps toward addressing them. For those facing depression symptoms, therapy is a useful tool to help get their lives back on track.
With cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), for example, you can confront feelings of low self-worth or helplessness and learn how to replace them with more positive and effective thinking patterns. In other forms of talk therapy, professional counselors help you get to the root of your symptoms and teach you ways to alleviate them.
In addition, medications can be useful in treating depression. Your mental health provider at Thriveworks will advise whether this is necessary in your situation.
As with any form of treatment, no two are exactly alike. The mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Lehi, UT have the expertise to build a treatment program specifically for you.
Starting Therapy for Depression With Thriveworks in Lehi, UT
Seeking help to treat depression can feel overwhelming at first. But many clients find it to be a highly rewarding and life-changing endeavor. That’s why at Thriveworks in Lehi, UT, we want you to feel as comfortable and confident in your options as possible.
Scheduling an appointment is easy. Our therapists and counselors offer convenient evening and weekend sessions, set flexibly to your schedule. We also offer new clients the opportunity to meet with a counselor within 24 hours of scheduling their appointment.
Thriveworks accepts many major insurance plans and offers additional membership benefits, including the following:
- Advice via phone or email
- Life coaching Q&A
- A flexible cancellation policy
- Community discussions moderated by counselors
- Free access to our e-book, “Leaving Depression Behind”
Services also are available online or by phone, allowing you to receive counseling without leaving the comfort of your home.
Whether you prefer in-office sessions or remote counseling, the mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Lehi, UT are here to help.