We all know how anxiety feels. It can clench your neck, make your stomach tighten, or cause you to toss and turn all night.
Occasional feelings of anxiety are normal, even beneficial. They can be warning signals from the brain that something might be wrong. Pushing through occasional anxious moments to complete important work, or even ask someone to marry you, often proves exhilarating.
But what happens to people with anxiety when their symptoms become significant enough to disrupt their entire lives? At that point, it’s time to prioritize your mental health. Anxiety disorders are some of the most common forms of mental illness in the U.S., affecting millions of people every year.
Anxiety doesn’t discriminate based on gender, education, or level of success. Even Oprah Winfrey, who built one of the most influential media companies in the world, once said that anxiety symptoms nearly caused her to have a nervous breakdown. She described feelings of “speeding” and “numbness” that she needed to address.
If you are experiencing something similar, consider seeking anxiety counseling from a mental health professional. The counselors and therapists at Thriveworks in Lehi, UT can help you learn ways to address your symptoms and bring stability back into your life.
Am I Suffering From an Anxiety Disorder?
People with anxiety confront different symptoms in various ways. Still, many anxiety symptoms are common, including panic attacks, sweating, and catastrophic thoughts.
These are some other symptoms that people with anxiety might feel:
- Constant worry
- Excessive tension that you don’t understand
- A sensation of heart racing or palpitations
- Shortness of breath
- Unexplained sweating
- Difficulty concentrating
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
Experiencing such anxiety symptoms can be overwhelming. You might feel as though a dark cloud constantly hovers over you. It can be a difficult and exhausting way to live.
If these symptoms sound familiar, perhaps the time is right to address them. Anxiety counseling from the team at Thriveworks in Lehi, UT can help you reduce your feelings of anxiety, depression, and other mental illnesses.
What Can I Expect From Anxiety Therapy?
People with anxiety might struggle not only with the symptoms they’re experiencing, but also with loved ones telling them to “relax” or to “get over it”. Many of us know it’s not that easy.
Living with anxiety does not have to become your normal. Anxiety therapy can help you understand the source of your anxiety, the situations that might trigger it, and ways to help you reduce your symptoms.
Anxiety therapy takes many forms. A mental health professional could use one or more of the following approaches to help you treat anxiety:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT, is a form of talk therapy that teaches you to turn negative thoughts into positive ones. You will learn ways to cope and relax when facing anxiety.
- Exposure therapy encourages you to face your fears in steps. For instance, are you afraid of flying, heights, or enclosed spaces? Exposure therapy can help you learn to confront these fears in a safe and controlled manner.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy, or ACT, emphasizes living in the moment and limiting judgment to cope with negative thoughts or feelings. It helps those with anxiety symptoms create a sense of mindfulness about themselves.
- Art therapy can be useful in tapping your creative side to uncover more about what’s causing your anxiety.
In addition to various forms of talk therapy, anxiety symptoms can also be treated with medication. People with anxiety can also benefit from learning coping mechanisms and relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and meditation. The counselors and therapists at Thriveworks in Lehi, UT are trained to treat anxiety and will tailor your treatment options to your specific needs and symptoms.
Talk With a Therapist at Thriveworks Counseling in Lehi, UT
When you’re ready to seek out therapy for anxiety, Thriveworks is here to help.
We offer convenient evening and weekend sessions to fit your schedule and new clients can often make appointments within 24 hours. In-person and virtual visits are available, depending on your needs and comfort level. You can meet with a mental health professional without leaving the comfort of your home, which is a nice perk for many of our clients.
Thriveworks accepts many major insurance plans and offers additional membership benefits, such as community discussion boards and tutorials meant to offer information and inspiration.
Further benefits include the following:
- Advice available by phone or mail
- A flexible cancellation policy
- Life coaching via our “Dear Abby” style Q&A
- The Success Navigator phone app with text support
- Free access to our eBook, “Leaving Depression Behind”
Anxiety symptoms can prevent us from performing and living at our best. But you can take charge of your situation and reduce your feelings of anxiety. If you’re ready to seek anxiety counseling and restore balance to your life, call today for an appointment at Thriveworks in Lehi, UT.