If you’ve been feeling down for a while or worried all the time, you might be tempted to ignore the fact that your mental health isn’t great. Sometimes, acknowledging a problem makes it feel bigger and more real when you could otherwise pretend it doesn’t exist. This is especially important for mental health issues, as they’re often “invisible” to the outside world.
Anyone can be struggling internally, even if things seem great on the outside looking in. Unfortunately, many people struggle with mental health issues for years without support. We want you to know that there’s another option — working with a mental health professional like a psychologist.
The stigma around mental health issues and treatment pushes the idea that we have to tolerate our problems by pushing through them by ourselves. We want you to know that there’s another choice. Our team of mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Iowa City, IA can help you manage your mental health and live a happier, healthier life. Consider calling our office today to schedule your first appointment.
When To Consult a Licensed Psychologist
Some people think that mental health care is only for people with severe mental health problems, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Psychologists and other mental health professionals can help people with all kinds of mental health challenges. They have the skills and experience to test for, diagnose, and treat a wide variety of mental health issues.
Some common reasons that people decide to consult psychologists include:
- Mood swings
- Major life changes
- Difficulty concentrating at school or work
- Dealing with past trauma
- Family conflict
- Anxiety disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship struggles
- Self-medicating with drugs or alcohol
- Anger or stress management problems
- Changes in sleeping habits
A licensed psychologist has earned an advanced degree and gone through years of training. They can help you if you think you’re dealing with a specific mental health issue, or if you’re generally feeling “off” and want guidance.
Psychologists can set up a safe space for you to discuss your mental health and make a change in your life. If you’re interested in working with a psychologist, consider calling our office at Thriveworks Counseling in Iowa City, IA, today to get started.
The Benefits of Psychotherapy
Psychologists earn doctorate degrees in psychology, allowing them to diagnose and treat a wide range of mental health issues. The primary way that psychologists provide treatment is through psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy. There are a few different kinds of talk therapy you may encounter when looking into psychotherapy, such as:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy: This type of therapy focuses on noticing and changing dysfunctional thought patterns that affect your emotions and behaviors. It’s used to treat a wide range of mental health issues.
- Psychodynamic therapy: This form of therapy emphasizes the influence of the unconscious mind on your thoughts and behaviors. Psychologists encourage their clients to speak freely about whatever comes to mind in order to notice and change unconscious thoughts. It’s commonly used to treat depression.
- Humanistic therapy: This approach looks at the way your worldview impacts the choices you make. It’s a highly individualistic approach that is used to treat various disorders, such as depression, anxiety, addiction, and relationship issues.
Psychotherapy usually begins with discussing your background and why you decided to seek out mental health care. Following this initial discussion, your psychologist will create an individualized treatment plan that they will follow throughout future sessions. During these sessions, you’ll discuss the symptoms you’re facing and how to manage them.
If your psychologist determines that medication might also help your symptoms, they can coordinate with a Thriveworks psychiatrist to prescribe medication for your treatment plan. Your psychologist can also teach you coping skills, relaxation techniques, and other self-care habits to improve your mental health in the long term.
Do you think you could benefit from consulting a psychologist? Contact us today at Thriveworks Counseling in Iowa City, IA, to get started.
Schedule Your First Psychology Appointment in Iowa City, IA
Psychologists can help their clients deal with their mental health issues and live happier, calmer lives. If you’re ready to work with one of our psychologists, call our office at Thriveworks Counseling in Iowa City, IA, today.
We want to make therapy and counseling as convenient as possible. We offer extended evening and weekend hours to help our clients find time for treatment. Our psychologists work with their clients online through video chats or phone calls, giving you options for how you receive care.
When you sign up, you’ll also gain access to exclusive benefits such as:
- A text support line via our Success Navigator
- An online counselor-moderated forum
- An “Ask-a-coach” 24 hr Q&A
- Phone and email access to your provider in-between sessions
Getting support for your mental health is within reach. Consider scheduling your first appointment with a psychologist from Thriveworks Counseling in Iowa City, IA today.