Imagine the perfect couple. Have the people you envision been together long? Do they exchange gifts and love letters frequently? Are their personalities the same or polar opposites? Do they do everything together?
The answers to these questions, and the idea of a great relationship, differ for everyone. What a person wants to get out of a relationship — companionship, emotional support, physical intimacy, romance, personal growth — depends on who they are. These desires can even differ between individuals in a relationship.
However, what’s true of every relationship is that conflict arises, arguments occur, and difficult times drive people apart. Even the strongest relationships may need work from time to time. Communicating and resolving differences can be challenging in any relationship, and there’s nothing wrong with reaching out for support.
No one enters a relationship with a blank slate. Your family, upbringing, exes, and personal habits all influence the path your love life takes. Relationship therapists and counselors can help couples who are going through a difficult time or just need help getting over a short-term issue.
Couples therapy or counseling can help you grow closer as a couple. Call our office today to work with a mental health professional from Thriveworks Counseling in Hattiesburg, MS.
Why Do People Choose Couples Therapy?
Your connections with loved ones can play a significant role in your mental health, and consulting a professional counselor is one way to ensure those bonds make you happy. Many couples and married people benefit from speaking with a licensed marriage and family therapist or counselor about their relationships.
Common reasons people reach out to a mental health professional include:
- Financial problems
- Trust issues
- Poor communication
- Coping with shared grief or loss
- Opposing views
- Behavioral or emotional problems in children
- Conflicting parenting styles
- Recurring disagreements
- Divorce or separation
- Intimacy issues
Marriage and family therapy is not reserved for people who get into screaming matches about the dishes. In fact, happy couples may find that practicing intentional therapy techniques improves their relationships.
Do you think therapy or counseling is right for you and your partner? If so, consider contacting us today at Thriveworks Counseling in Hattiesburg, MS.
The Advantages of Working with a Relationship Counselor
Couples therapists and counselors are trained to identify critical concerns in relationships and guide couples as they resolve conflict. Every relationship is unique, so a licensed mental health professional will want to get to know both of you better before laying out a plan geared towards personal growth.
Whether you set clear boundaries at the beginning of your relationship or fell heart-first into a passionate fling, it’s okay to need help reasserting yourself and redefining what makes a situation work.
Some common therapeutic methods for couples include:
- The Gottman Method: This practice addresses four major relationship issues: defensiveness, stonewalling, criticism, and contempt. By identifying them, the Gottman Method aims to make couples more honest and considerate with one another.
- Emotionally focused therapy: EFT aims to identify and alter destructive patterns in a relationship that result in repetitive conflicts. It may help with the formation of secure emotional bonds.
- Imago Relationship Therapy (IRT): This form of therapy stresses the connection between your childhood and current relationships. IRT can also improve empathy and understanding by bringing your individual mental health into the conversation.
- Reflective listening: This technique centers on “I” statements, in which a person poses each of their concerns as “I feel X when you do Y” instead of “You are horrible for doing Y.” Reflective listening prevents defensiveness and allows couples to listen to each other without playing “the blame game.”
Skilled, compassionate counselors from Thriveworks can create a safe space for your relationship and act as neutral third parties to your disputes. Call our office today if you think relationship counseling sessions are suitable for you.
Schedule Couples Therapy at Thriveworks in Hattiesburg, MS
If you and your partner are considering couples counseling, reach out to Thriveworks. Our therapists in Hattiesburg, MS, are prepared to help, and we offer sessions at convenient times, including weekday, evening, and weekend appointments.
Thriveworks Counseling is proud to accept many different forms of health insurance and provide text-message assistance for booking and billing. Additionally, when life gets in the way, rescheduling appointments is simple.
Other great benefits of becoming a Thriveworks Counseling client include:
- Access to providers between sessions (using text or email)
- Virtual therapy opportunities through video chat or phone calls
- New clients can get started quickly — sometimes within just 24-48
- Access to exclusive video content
- A 24-hour Q+A service with a life coach
- Participation in counselor-moderated community discussion boards
- And much more!
Schedule a session today in Hattiesburg, MS by calling, or booking an appointment. We can’t wait to help you and your partner thrive.