When someone is depressed, there’s a long list of things you shouldn’t say to them. For example, don’t say, “Just smile! Your life isn’t so bad!” Don’t tell them to snap out of it. Don’t tell them that other people have it way worse, or that they don’t have anything to be sad about. Sadness isn’t something that a depressed person can control. But there is one supportive thing you can always say to a person suffering from depression: “Maybe a professional counselor could help you.”
At Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN, our depression counselors are fully licensed and ready to offer their compassion and expertise to people suffering from mild to severe depression. People can experience different kinds of depression disorders, including:
- Bipolar affective disorder or manic depression
- Major, moderate, and mild depression
- Postpartum depression (PPD)
- Persistent depressive disorder (PDD) or dysthymia
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
Depression can sometimes be complicated, having genetic, neurochemical, and environmental components. You may require psychotherapy or psychiatric medication in order to feel better and go into long-term remission for your depression. Fortunately Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN has a full complement of mental health professionals to assist you in overcoming your depression.
How Do I Know If I’m Depressed?
Some people experience depression for so long, they almost forget what it’s like to feel a sense of well-being. They just think sadness is part of their personality. But it certainly doesn’t have to be. Long-term depression can lead to poor health outcomes, and no one deserves to feel bad all the time. If you experience any of the following common symptoms of depression, it may be time to seek help from a depression counselor at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN:
- Persistent depressed mood (continuously feeling sad and/or negative)
- Anhedonia (a loss of interest or pleasure in activities you used to enjoy)
- Overwhelming feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Physical fatigue and exhaustion
- Diminished energy levels in thought and action (psychomotor retardation)
- Unintentional weight gain or loss due to changes in appetite
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Changes in sex drive
- Psychomotor agitation
- Irritability (which is more often a symptom in men than women)
Are Depression and Anxiety Related?
People who suffer from depression often have episodes of anxiety as well. And vice versa. A person with severe social anxiety might feel the need to isolate herself, then she may start feeling ashamed and depressed without her social support system. The licensed therapists, counselors, social workers, and psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN have extensive experience with treating both depression and anxiety. They can help you distinguish between the two disorders and come up with effective treatment plans for each. You are not a single diagnosis, after all. You are a whole person, and our providers treat you as such.
Anxiety treatments at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN may include the following:
- Pharmaceutical interventions (e.g., benzodiazepines, buspirone, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors aka SSRIs), prescribed by a licensed Thriveworks psychiatrist
- Psychotherapy (talk therapy)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Other cognitive therapies
- Self-care through lifestyle changes (diet and exercise)
- Mindfulness and/or meditation
- Substance abuse treatment
- Group or couples therapy from a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT) at Thriveworks
Depression treatments from a depression counselor at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN may include:
- Pharmaceutical interventions (e.g., antidepressants like SSRIs) from a Thriveworks psychiatrist
- CBT and other cognitive therapies
- Changes in diet and exercise
- Holistic treatments like mindfulness and meditation
- Behavior therapy
- Couples counseling
- Family therapy
- Substance abuse treatment
As you can see, some of these treatments overlap. Your therapist may recommend one or a combination of approaches.
Start Your Relationship with a Licensed Depression Counselor at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN
The licensed depression counselors at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN are ready to meet with new clients and provide the professional support those clients need to feel better and achieve their goals. Our providers are able to meet with people quickly–usually within 24-48 hours of their initial call–and at the client’s convenience. Our depression counselors can meet you in-person in the Thriveworks office, or online via our secure telehealth software that you can easily download to your smartphone or computer. If you can open an email and click on a link, you can use our state-of-the-art video conferencing technology. Our fully licensed providers also accept most health insurance.
When you enroll at Thriveworks, you also receive numerous additional benefits like our Ask-a-Coach 24hr Q&A service. You can also reach out to your counselor by phone or email at any time between your sessions. And our sessions start on-time or early over 97% of the time.
It’s time to get the help you need and deserve. It’s time to start feeling better under the compassionate, expert guidance of a Thriveworks depression counselor. We can’t wait to hear from you today.