Couples therapy works by helping couples identify and better navigate their unique challenges. Following an initial assessment of the couple in terms of strengths and needs, the therapist would then discuss their therapeutic goals and any possible approaches or ways of working together as therapist and couple.
Couples attend sessions together, whether they meet in person or by video. In addition to regular couples therapy sessions, each partner may also be asked to attend a few individual sessions to supplement their progress. This will allow their counselor to get to know each individual better, assess each of their personal needs, and develop the very best treatment plan moving forward.
The advice columnist Ann Landers once wrote, “All married couples should learn the art of battle as they should learn the art of making love.” Couples can learn to use conflict as an opportunity to enhance their bonds. As Landers continued, “Good battle is healthy and constructive, and brings to a marriage the principles of equal partnership.” Constructive is the key word there. “Good” arguments can lead to increased intimacy.
The licensed couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN have the psychological insight to help teach couples how to resolve their differences and grow stronger through both harmony and conflict. The therapists at Thriveworks can help couples take their relationships to a higher level, where husbands, wives, domestic partners, and significant others feel safe, secure, and loved, even when they’re experiencing disagreements.
What Are the Benefits of Couples Therapy or Marriage Counseling?
People seek out the couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN for all kinds of reasons, both small and large. But as anyone who’s ever been in an intimate relationship knows, sometimes the small things punch above their weight. For example, people have been known to get divorced because someone refuses to do the dishes. But is the divorce really about the dishes, or something bigger? Open and honest communication under the guidance of a professional counselor can help answer those kinds of difficult questions.
Here are some of the possible motivations a couple may have for seeking out a licensed marriage counselor at Thriveworks:
- I want us to model a healthy relationship for our kids.
- Things feel stagnant. I want us to reignite our spark.
- I’m sick of fighting. And I want to stop having the same fight over and over without ever advancing emotionally.
- I want to feel more trusting or trusted.
- I want to feel less angry, or stop holding a grudge.
- I want to improve our sex life.
- I want to feel appreciated.
- I want to explore separation or divorce.
- I want to be a better communicator.
- I want him/her to be more emotionally available.
- We need help healing after a death or trauma.
Who Sees Couples Therapists?
People often have the misapprehension that only married couples headed for divorce court need to see a marriage counselor, but that’s just not true. Secure and successful couples with enduring, happy marriages or domestic partnerships have spoken up about the benefits of long-term marriage counseling and couples therapy. For example:
- Barack and Michelle Obama
- Pink and Carey Hart
- Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard
- Will and Jada Pinkett Smith
- Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott
Couples therapy at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN can be a safe place to explore issues within a marriage before emotions begin to fester. And talking openly about problems and pain points can help prevent larger conflicts in the future.
How Do I Find a Great Couples Therapist or Marriage Counselor?
Before you see a couples therapist, you and your partner should come up with a list of questions like the following:
- Is the marriage counselor fully licensed? (Thriveworks marriage and family therapists in Eden Prairie, MN are fully licensed LMFTs.)
- Does the therapist take my insurance? (Thriveworks mental health providers accept most health insurance.)
- Can I see the therapist online or in-person? (Thriveworks therapists offer both options to their clients.)
- Is the therapist experienced in helping couples like me and my spouse? (Thriveworks marriage counselors have all kinds of relationship specialties, including LGBTQ, Christian, interracial, and engaged couples.)
- Will my partner and I work well with the therapist’s treatment approach? (Thriveworks therapists are highly trained in diverse, evidence-based therapeutic modalities like the Gottman method and emotionally focused couples therapy.)
Give Your Marriage the Support It Deserves with an Exceptional Couples Therapist at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN
When you and your partner are ready to take the big first step of scheduling your session with a marriage counselor at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN, our highly trained staff and top-rated mental health providers try to make things as easy as possible. We can usually get you an appointment with a licensed therapist within 24-48 hours of your initial call. We also make it easy for you to contact your therapist by phone or email between sessions. Our sessions are convenient, private, and most importantly of all, enormously helpful. The marriage therapy sessions at Thriveworks in Eden Prairie, MN don’t focus on relitigating the past. They want to help couples find solutions that will serve them now and in the future, throughout their lives.
Call today or book online to make your appointment with a supportive, compassionate, and expert counselor who can help your and your partner weather storms of all sizes. We look forward to hearing from you!