Relationship counseling works by helping couples identify and better navigate their unique challenges. Following an initial assessment of the couple in terms of strengths and needs, the therapist would then discuss their therapeutic goals and any possible approaches or ways of working together as therapist and couple.
Couples attend sessions together, whether they meet in person or by video. In addition to regular couples therapy sessions, each partner may also be asked to attend a few individual sessions to supplement their progress. This will allow their counselor to get to know each individual better, assess each of their personal needs, and develop the very best treatment plan moving forward.
On average, couples attend relationship counseling for 12 weeks. However, relationship counseling may last longer or shorter, dependent on the couples' needs, the challenges they'd like to work through, and the pace of their progress.
Dax Shepard and Kristin Bell are major celebrities—but they aren’t just admired for their appearances on the big screen, they’re admired for their relationship, too. These two prioritize:
- Having open and honest conversations
- Maintaining intimacy, both physically and emotionally
- Supporting one another in their personal and professional goals
- Parenting their children well and supporting their health and happiness
These are staples of a happy and healthy relationship that stand in stark contrast to common relationship issues. What we mean is that many couples struggle with open, honest communication; with maintaining a healthy level of intimacy; with providing each other with the right support; and with getting on the same page in terms of how they parent.
That’s not to say that Shepard and Bell don’t have their fair share of problems. For example, Shepard commonly opens up about his struggle with addiction. This doesn’t just introduce challenges into Shepard’s life but his relationship with Bell. However, those priorities we mentioned above help them navigate this challenge effectively.
If your relationship has hit a roadblock and you’re struggling to get on the same page, consider reaching out to Thriveworks Counseling in Detroit, MI. The reality is that every relationship will run into problems, and sometimes couples need a little outside help to get through it. In fact, Shepard and Bell have boasted of attending and benefitting from couples therapy themselves. If you’d like to schedule a couples therapy or marriage counseling session, call our office today.
How Can Couples Therapy or Marriage Counseling Help My Relationship?
Relationship counseling is led by skilled, caring professionals who have expertise in helping couples. Therefore, couples therapy and marriage counseling can help people in many different ways, but the main goals can be divided into the following:
- Assist the couple with addressing and managing their problems: Often, couples bring specific challenges in their relationship to therapy. Common relationship issues include poor communication, trust issues, lack of intimacy, disagreements in parenting, financial stress, and differing opinions. These challenges aren’t easy to work through and involve having a vulnerable, honest conversation. Relationship counselors guide these conversations and help their clients to address and resolve the problems at hand.
- Prepare for future challenges: The problems that you are experiencing in your relationship at present likely won’t be the last. As we said earlier, every relationship runs into challenges. It’s normal. That said, a counselor can help you and your partner prepare for future challenges and learn to communicate more effectively about your thoughts, feelings, and needs.
- Improve your overall relationship: The primary goal of couples therapy and marriage counseling is to help you and your partner or spouse improve your relationship holistically. They will want to talk to both you and your partner to understand problem areas and needs from both perspectives. They will then do whatever they can to help you achieve your personal goals for your relationship and your time in counseling.
Relationship counseling helps couples work through their relationship challenges, better prepare for future problems that may arise, and improve their relationship holistically. If you’re interested in tackling these goals with a couples therapist or marriage counselor, reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in Detroit, MI.
Schedule Couples Therapy or Marriage Counseling at Thriveworks in Detroit, MI
Couples therapy, marriage counseling, and other versions of relationship counseling have proven to help many couples with their specific problems and needs. If you think that talking to a counselor or therapist might help you make important changes and decisions in your relationship, consider reaching out to Thriveworks Counseling in Detroit, MI. We can set you up with a couples therapist or marriage counselor right away.
Thriveworks offers flexible appointment options when scheduling. Not only will you get to choose between daytime and evening sessions, but you can choose to work with your counselor in-person or online. Either way works for us. Call us soon to book your first relationship counseling session!