Depression Counseling in Detroit, MI
“I didn’t want my picture taken because I was going to cry. I didn’t know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes and the sobs would fly out of my throat and I’d cry for a week. I could feel the tears brimming and sloshing in me like water in a glass that is unsteady and too full.”
Sylvia Plath explains, honestly and heartbreakingly, what depression felt like to her. However, this is just one description of depression. The reality is that depression can look very different from one person to the next person. However, there are common symptoms that we should be on the lookout for. And if we present these symptoms, we should reach out for the help and support we need to get better.
If you feel depressed, know that at least one thing is true: a depression counselor can provide you with the assistance you need. It might be hard to explain what you are feeling or experiencing, depression counselors are well-versed in depression. They understand the symptoms and they’ve helped many people just like you.
Would you like to set up an appointment for depression therapy? Reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in Detroit, MI today. We can set you up with a depression therapist upon your call, and you might even meet them within 24 hours.
Am I Depressed?
This question appears simple but it is far from it. Someone might think, “There’s no way that I’m depressed,” when in reality they are depressed. Someone else might think that they are, without a doubt, depressed when they really aren’t.
It’s important to understand the symptoms of depression so that you know when to reach out for professional mental health help. Here are some symptoms that are common and may signify a depressive disorder:
- Feelings of despair
- Loss of interest in your normal day to day
- Feelings of hopelessness and/or worthlessness
- Withdrawal and isolation from loved ones
- Sleep disturbances and changes in eating
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Suicidal thoughts or self-harm
Do you have any of the above symptoms? If you do, it’s okay. Breathe. Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses out there, which means that mental health professionals understand how to help those with it. They have helped many people just like you and they can help you, too!
Now, the next step is to ensure that you talk to a mental health professional who can help. Thriveworks Counseling has depression therapists and psychologists who specialize in this very area and can provide the help and support you’re looking for.
What Type of Depression Is This?
What some people don’t realize is that there are many different depressive disorders. There are the common major and minor depression as well as bipolar disorder, seasonal affective disorder (or winter depression), postpartum depression, and others.
- Major and minor depression: You’re probably familiar with major and minor depression. These are two of the most common forms of depression, which are characterized by the symptoms we delved into earlier. The main difference between the two is that major depression is more severe.
- Bipolar disorder: Bipolar disorder is another depressive disorder, and it’s characterized by depression and mania. Individuals with bipolar disorder switch between these depressive and manic states.
- Seasonal affective disorder: Seasonal affective disorder or winter depression is a form of depression that people experience in the colder months. It comes with the symptoms we listed above, changing how one thinks, feels, and behaves.
- Postpartum depression: Postpartum depression is another type of depression that many new mothers develop. They can exhibit the depression symptoms that are listed above as well as other symptoms that center around caring for their baby.
Do you have any of these symptoms of depression? Do you think that you may have major depression, minor depression, bipolar disorder, seasonal affective disorder, postpartum depression, or another form of depression? Before you do anything else, please consider calling Thriveworks. We are here, we care, and we want to help.
Treatment for Depression
We can’t reiterate this enough: If you feel depressed or think you might be depressed, please reach out for help. Why? Because a depression counselor can truly help you. Here are a few ways they can help:
- They can assess your symptoms
- They can discuss potential root causes with you
- They can offer specific coping strategies that fit your needs
- They can design a customized plan for treatment
- They can provide support while you learn to manage your depression
The depression counselors here at Thriveworks Counseling in Detroit, MI can offer the help and the support that you’re looking or hoping for. If you are struggling with depression symptoms, please reach out.
Set Up a Depression Therapy Session at Thriveworks in Detroit
You can schedule a depression therapy session at Thriveworks in Detroit, MI right now. You can even meet with a provider within 24-48 hours if you call now. We have a scheduling team here to help you schedule your session quickly and conveniently.