It’s difficult to explain anxiety to someone who hasn’t experienced it themselves. Your mind is weighed down with heavy thoughts that you can’t control. Overwhelming thoughts that challenge your self-worth, stability, and sanity.
Some people experience anxious thoughts and feelings in a range of scenarios. They feel anxious at work, at home, in their relationships. Other people experience anxious thoughts and feelings in more specific scenarios: For example, in social interactions or as a result of trauma.
Regardless of the specifics, anxiety disorders have a harmful effect on those who suffer with them. These individuals must learn to manage their symptoms and alleviate their anxious feelings in the given scenarios. Often, doing so successfully is hard unless a mental health professional is involved.
Thriveworks Counseling in Detroit, MI has anxiety therapists and psychologists who can help you. These professionals specialize in helping individuals with anxiety. If you’re experiencing any signs of anxiety, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We want to put you on the right path of healing.
Anxiety Disorders: Different Types of Anxiety
Anxiety can be separated into different categories, depending on exact symptoms. First, though, the following are common, general symptoms of anxiety:
- Racing thoughts
- Feeling of impending doom
- Sleep disturbances
- Changes in appetite and eating
- Feelings of restlessness
The main characteristic of anxiety are those uncontrollable, racing thoughts. The other symptoms listed above may accompany those racing thoughts. Now, there are a few main types of anxiety that people experience. These anxiety disorders include:
- Generalized anxiety disorder. As the name suggests, this is a general form of anxiety. This represents the anxiety that people experience on a day to day basis in a range of scenarios and is one of the most common presentations of anxiety.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder. Post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, is another type of anxiety. This disorder can occur after one experiences a traumatic event, such as the loss of a loved one, a physical injury, or mental abuse.
- Social anxiety disorder. Social anxiety disorder, otherwise known as social phobia, is also common. People who suffer from social anxiety feel uncomfortable in social interactions. Often, this discomfort comes from the fear of being negatively perceived by others.
- Panic disorder. This anxiety disorder is characterized by panic attacks. Many individuals mistake their panic attacks for heart attacks. Other symptoms include loss of control over one’s thoughts and physical responses.
Do you exhibit any symptoms of the above? Are you feeling anxious and unable to control your racing thoughts? Consider reaching out to Thriveworks Counseling in Detroit, MI to begin working with an anxiety therapist.
Anxiety Help at Thriveworks Counseling in Detroit, MI
If you need anxiety help, Thriveworks Counseling in Detroit, MI can give you just that. We have therapists who specialize in this specific area of mental health help. They can help you by…
- Working with you to understand any root causes of your anxiety
- Offering coping skills for coping with your specific anxiety
- Helping you manage your anxiety symptoms
- Setting you up with a psychiatrist if you’re in need of medication
The anxiety therapists at Thriveworks Counseling in Detroit, MI are the best of the best. We only work with the providers who we are confident will be able to help their clients. Not to mention that our providers truly care about every person they work with. They strive to provide a safe, supportive environment for working through one’s given mental health issues.
Are you interested in scheduling an anxiety therapy appointment? Reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in Detroit, MI. We have in-person and online counseling sessions available now. In fact, new clients often meet their provider within 24-48 hours of calling. Call now to get started right away.