Have you ever felt moments of intense hopelessness, sadness, and irritability despite your surroundings? Have you ever felt unmotivated to work or play and apathetic to the people and things that once made life feel special?
If any of these symptoms ring true for you, you may be experiencing depression, a mood disorder that causes persistent unhappiness or demotivation. Because depression impacts the way you see the world, many people with depression find it difficult to navigate the everyday challenges of life.
However, like many other types of mental and emotional illnesses, depression is treatable. A trained mental health provider can work with you to mitigate the effects of your disorder. With therapy, medication, coping mechanisms, or a combination of the three, you can make strides in your quest for strong mental and emotional health.
If you think you may be experiencing depression, consider calling us at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX. Depression may be a part of your life, but it isn’t who you are. You can take a step today to live a brighter tomorrow.
The Most Common Forms of Depression
Depression comes in many different forms with many different symptoms. It can occur seasonally or chronically and can be impacted by everything from genetics to your environment.
Some of the more common types of depression include the following:
- Major depressive disorder may be caused by genetics, hormones, stress, or childhood experiences. Its symptoms include lethargy, disinterest, tiredness, sadness, and suicidal thoughts.
- Persistent depressive disorder has the same causes as major depressive disorder but it lasts for two or more years. It can be accompanied by feelings of fatigue, helplessness, and irritability.
- Seasonal depressive disorder is caused by changes in the season and typically occurs during the cold autumn and winter months due, at least in part, to the lack of sunlight. It may cause weight gain, tiredness, and intense feelings of sadness.
- Bipolar disorder may have a number of contributing factors, including genetics, substance abuse, trauma, or extreme stress. This mood disorder can fall into many different categories, including bipolar I and bipolar II, depending on the frequency and intensity of your emotional highs and lows.
- Postpartum depression is typically caused by changes in hormones, a history of depression, or extreme stress following childbirth. Common symptoms include mood swings, insomnia, and anxiety.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder can occur due to an abnormal response to hormonal changes during menstruation. Its symptoms include hopelessness, extreme fatigue, and heart palpitations.
If depression symptoms are impacting your life, please schedule an appointment with us at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX.
A Multifaceted Approach To Treating Depression
If you’ve ever experienced a depressive episode, you know the impact that depressive disorders can have on your life. They can interfere with your relationships, your hobbies, and your career if not properly addressed.
But things do not have to be this way. Treating your depression is possible with the help of a psychologist, psychiatrist, or other mental health professional. Though the process varies for each individual, most treatment plans combine the following:
- Therapy, such as light therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Medication, such as antidepressants and mood stabilizers.
- Self-care techniques, such as meditation, improved nutrition, and removing caffeine and other stimulants.
Your therapist, psychiatrist, counselor, or another mental health provider will speak to you one-on-one about the various treatments available and build a plan that works for you and your specific form of depression.
Treating depression is possible with the right care and commitment. Call us at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX to set up your session with a mental health expert today.
Treat Your Depression at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX
Depression can make you feel like a stranger to yourself. The things that once brought you joy can suddenly feel as inconsequential as a breeze. We know that depression symptoms can drain you mentally, emotionally, and physically. But reaching out for help can be your first step in combating your symptoms and returning to your old self.
As Thriveworks, we offer our clients online sessions via phone and video, offices with convenient opening and closing times, and weekend and evening appointments. We even offer video content and a moderated message board online.
If you have a question between appointments, you can reach out to your provider via phone or email or check out our Q&A life coaching service. We accept a variety of insurance providers and have a flexible cancellation policy should you need to rebook.
As a new client, you may even be able to see someone within 24-48 hours. Set up an appointment with us today at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX to get started.