What is psychiatry?
Psychiatry is a branch of medicine that focuses specifically on the medical and psychotherapeutic treatment of mental conditions and disorders.
How does psychiatry work?
Psychiatry allows people struggling to manage mental conditions or disorders to get access to medications that will make daily functioning easier, as well as work through any mental factors that might be causing or worsening their condition. Though medications can't cure mental disorders, medication can make symptoms more manageable, making the process of psychotherapeutic treatment easier and more effective. Psychiatric care can be available through in-person psychiatry and online psychiatry, depending on where you live and your own preferences. However, psychiatric providers at Thriveworks in San Francisco, CA specifically offer online psychiatry to their clients.
Does psychiatry deal with anxiety?
Psychiatrists are among the mental health professionals who can prescribe anxiety medication, and they are also capable of offering therapeutic treatment for anxiety as well, though not every psychiatric professional offers therapy. Medication management can be offered via in-person or online psychiatry.
What is the difference between a mental health therapist and psychiatrist?
A therapist has an education specifically rooted in therapeutic practice, approaches, techniques, and treatment. They cannot prescribe medications for clients, thought they often refer clients to psychiatrists for medication management. Psychiatrists are medically trained doctors who specialize in mental health treatment, mainly through medication management and prescription, though they can also practice therapy.
What's the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist?
Psychologists and psychiatrists receive differing educations, as psychologists are not medically trained the same way that psychiatrists are. Psychologists mainly specialize in providing therapy services and diagnoses for mental disorders — something that most therapists cannot provide — while psychiatrists manage medications and sometimes provide therapy services. The main difference is that psychologists (generally) cannot prescribe medications the way psychiatrists can.
Do psychiatric NPs treat mental disorders?
Psychiatric nurse practitioners (NPs) treat and diagnose disorders, prescribe and manage medications, and offer psychotherapy services, too.
How do psychiatriac providers diagnose?
Oftentimes, psychiatrists or psychiatric professionals will perform a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation, which involves an in-depth discussion about your symptoms, medical history, and current medications. Once they reach a diagnosis, they may suggest starting certain medications depending on your condition and the intensity of your symptoms.
Is psychiatry/medication conducted in person or online?
At Thriveworks, we offer online psychiatry as well as in-person therapy services for optimal comfort and convenience.
How long does psychiatry last?
Psychiatric services at Thriveworks San Francisco can last for as little or as much time as the client needs to reach their treatment goals, whether that be a month or two or over the course of years. treatment length is heavily dependent on the condition(s) being treated, the course of treatment, and the client's goals for treatment.
Need more help deciding?
Evie recently quit her job to focus on her dream of becoming a freelance artist. It’s been a dream of hers for several years, and now she finally has everything she needs in order to get started. But unfortunately, Evie is pretty anxious about the prospect of failing at her aspirations. Finding new clients hasn’t been the easiest task, and she’s falling behind on her expenses.
Thankfully, Evie has a support system of friends and family who help her to stay on track and to stay positive—but it’s not always enough. Evie is also the first to admit that talking to her loved ones about what’s troubling her makes her anxious. She doesn’t want them to worry about her, either. After some consideration, Evie is scheduling a psychiatry appointment—she’s ready to control her anxiety and find relief from a mental health professional.
Like Evie, many people experience the disruptive symptoms of mental health conditions and disorders that get in the way of the people and things they love. But at Thriveworks in San Francisco, CA our psychiatry team can help. Our psychiatrists are ready to partner with you to start addressing your mental health needs by implementing solutions that work best for your lifestyle.
What is a Psychiatrist? How Can They Help?
If you’re not familiar with what a psychiatrist is or does, they are:
- Medical doctors: Psychiatrists use their combined knowledge of medicine with their therapeutic background. They’re able to diagnose and treat many types of mental health disorders and conditions. The result is a unique and personalized client experience for you.
- Able to prescribe medication: Psychiatrists can prescribe helpful medications to their clients. These prescriptions assist people in managing their mental health issues. While not everyone will need prescription medicine, it’s just another unique way that psychiatry can benefit everyday people.
- Available online: We get it—you’re busy. It’s hard to find time to commute to a psychiatrist’s office while you’re working, balancing your family life, and trying to stay on top of other commitments you’ve made. With online psychiatry, say goodbye to not being able to prioritize your mental health needs because of a hectic schedule. Connect from home, the office, or really anywhere. As long as you have reliable internet and the ability to talk privately, online psychiatry can go with you anywhere.
Should I Consider Online Psychiatry?
It’s understandable if talking to a psychiatrist sounds like it will be more intense than meeting with a therapist or counselor. However, our psychiatrists are still expert listeners, and they’re not going to disregard your concerns or treatment preferences. When you share your perspective with them, our psychiatrists at Thriveworks in San Francisco, CA will work with you to make sure that your treatment plan fits your needs and desires.
And if you’re suffering from more persistent or severe types of mental health conditions or disorders, especially those that affect your mood or behavior, a psychiatrist at Thriveworks may be the best treatment choice. Our psychiatric team commonly helps everyday people like you to manage and mitigate their:
- Eating disorders
- Social anxiety
- And many other mental health conditions
With Thriveworks in San Francisco, CA our psychiatric team is 100% virtual, which means added convenience and scheduling flexibility for you. You might find our virtual services appealing if you want to:
- Eliminate the need to commute to a brick-and-mortar location. If you have reliable internet and a private space to talk with your psychiatrist, you’re set. Attend your session from home, the office—wherever.
- Prioritize your mental health. Take care of your emotional wellbeing, even if you have a busy work or travel schedule. Parents or those taking care of elder relatives can have the opportunity to take care of themselves, too.
- Reduce the anxiety you might feel about seeking mental health services. When you’re able to talk from the location of your choice, it can be easier to discuss concepts or situations related to your mental health needs.
Schedule an Online Psychiatry Session Today at Thriveworks in San Francisco, CA
Call our office today to schedule with Thriveworks if you’re ready to team up with someone from our online psychiatric team. Our providers are waiting to hear from you. When you contact us, you’ll be assisted by someone from our team of scheduling specialists. And when you become a Thriveworks client, you’ll get instant access to benefits such as:
- Evening and weekend scheduling availability
- Flexible cancellation policy: Call a few days before your session to cancel without any charges
- Email access to your provider outside of sessions as needed
- The digital edition of “Leaving Depression Behind” and other electronic mental health resources
- Our Therapy Buddy app—a great way to measure your progress as you advance through therapy or psychiatric care
Seeking assistance from a psychiatrist at Thriveworks in San Francisco, CA is a great way to prioritize your emotional wellbeing and overall mental health. If you believe that you could benefit from talking to one of our mental health professionals, call our office today to start taking the next steps.