Trauma Counseling in Pooler, GA—Counselors and Therapists
“Trauma creates changes you don’t choose. Healing is about creating change you do choose.” – Michelle Rosenthal
No one deserves to go through a trauma. While traumas can come in many different shapes and sizes, they all can have devasting effects on your thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. In the immediate aftermath or years down the road after a trauma, it can feel hopeless.
Thriveworks Pooler Trauma Counseling has seen hope prevail in dark situations over and over again. You don’t have to fight for yourself alone, the trauma therapists at Thriveworks Pooler is here to be your partner as we walk towards the life you deserve- one of health, growth, and fulfillment.
Everyone will respond to a trauma differently. Maybe you’re feeling angry, or anxious, or depressed. All of these feelings are entirely valid. You went through something no one should ever have to, and it’s going to take some time and work to work through those emotions and memories.
You have the power to take back the life your trauma stole, and to even build a better one. The healing process isn’t always comfortable and is oftentimes scary. The courage you show by even considering it is proof of your strength. Thriveworks Pooler is here for you to lean on and learn from.
What Is Trauma?
There are many types of trauma, although they might interlay and it’s possible for one event to hold more than one type. Each type is equally as devastating, and equally as possible to overcome.
- Emotional Abuse
- Sexual Abuse
- Physical Experiences- war zones, a natural disaster, violent car crash, or physical attack are all examples
- Complex- usually a result of prolonged stressful events like chronic medical issues or a disruptive household life. Usually doesn’t result in PTSD but can have major lasting impact long after the situation is over.
Trauma can have wide symptoms depending on the type of trauma experienced, individual differences, and if PTSD forms or not. In general, our brains are quite susceptible to damage from trauma. They are so adaptable to the world around us, processing millions of bits of information a minute, that trauma can mold the brain into an unhealthy version. This is why you might feel like you’re always on the brink of danger or can’t seem to get out of bed in the morning or walk down that one street.
It’s frustrating to feel like your own brain betrayed you, but it’s not the end. Just as trauma molded your brain, we can mold it back. With the professional guidance of a Thriveworks Pooler Trauma counselor, you can take control of your life and build the life you’ve dreamed of.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder- or PTSD for short- is a result of a trauma that has lasting effects. Experiencing a trauma does not always mean forming PTSD, but PTSD is always a result of a trauma.
Symptoms of PTSD may include:
- Recurrent, painful dreams
- Emotional numbness
- Jittery/always on edge
- Difficulty concentrating
- Difficulty trusting others, even ones you opened up to before the trauma
- Persistent fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame
- Difficulty finding pleasure in activities you used to love
- Difficulty feeling positive emotions
- A general feeling of detachment from the world or yourself
- Continuous feeling of discomfort in stomach and gut
Even if you don’t identify with all of these symptoms or don’t have a full-blown PTSD diagnosis, recovering from a trauma is still a painful and difficult process. There is often shame, doubt, and fear associated with the trauma. Thriveworks Pooler wants to stress that trauma is never, ever the fault of the victim.
How Can Thriveworks Trauma Counseling Help?
Thriveworks Pooler always keeps the focus of a counseling session on you. Your situation is unique and so should a counseling session. We work to be your partner in this healing process.
Years of training and experience have left us with a few tools that can help us in our sessions. For example:
- Education on the symptoms of trauma
- Learning how to cope with symptoms (Examples include relaxation exercises, anger-management techniques and guided imagery)
- Developing healthy sleep, exercise, and diet habits. These are oftentimes affected by trauma and are crucial to full mental and physical health.
- Discover and work through any guilt, self-blame or other negative emotions surrounding the trauma. It was not your fault.
- Fear and anxiety can lurk under the surface for years, we can work on dismantling these.
- Address any comorbid struggles such as anxiety or depression.
When so much is crushing down on you, healing feels impossible. Thriveworks Pooler knows it’s not. The strength to overcome a trauma is in you. Maybe you want a little extra support, and that is exactly what we are here for. Your present is in your control; the past doesn’t have to keep its control.