The author Elizbeth Wurtzel once stated, “I was so scared to give up depression, fearing that somehow the worst part of me was actually all of me.” This quote captures one of the ways that depression can be so destructive. You can start feeling like depression is your actual personality instead of a common mental health condition. This might lead to more feelings of self-loathing, guilt, or worthlessness. It’s an ugly cycle. When you’re depressed, everything is colored by depression, even your finest attributes. You may start to doubt and question everything that’s good in your life, or think that you don’t deserve it. There’s no end to the dark, tormented roads your mind can go down. But depression is not you. You are not your diagnosis. And you can get effective treatment.
The premium depression counselors at Thriveworks in Nashua, NH can help clients get on the path to recovery. They do this by listening, providing insights, and giving clients the tools they need to feel better. Those resources might include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), mindfulness training, or psychotropic medication like a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressant. Each course of treatment is individualized toward a client’s goals and wishes. People with depression deserve the best, most expert care. Thriveworks can provide it.
Who Gets Depressed?
People who experience major depressive disorder come from all walks of life. Numerous celebrities have been open about their struggles with depression, including the following:
- Michelle Obama
- Jim Carrey
- Kristen Bell
- Johnny Depp
- Lady Gaga
- Taraji P. Henson
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
- Michael Phelps
It doesn’t matter if you’re rich and famous. No one is immune to depression. It’s a mental health condition that affects millions of people in the United States every year. But there are highly effective ways of treating depression if you know where to go. The mental health providers at Thriveworks in Nashua, NH are recruited from the top 4% of providers in the area, making them the best qualified to help clients who are struggling.
How Do You Know If You Have Clinical Depression?
Clinical depression is characterized by certain attributes in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), which is used by psychiatrists to diagnose medical conditions. Symptoms of depression include the following:
- A depressed mood enduring more than two weeks
- Anhedonia (loss of interest or pleasure in activities you usually enjoy)
- Changes in appetite, often leading to unintentional weight loss or gain
- Psychomotor retardation (slowed-down movements and thoughts)
- Physical and mental fatigue
- Overwhelming feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Attention or memory issues
- Suicidal thoughts (If you’re ever considering harming yourself, call a crisis hotline immediately.)
But depression can also manifest as physical pain, irritability, and other less common symptoms. It requires a qualified mental health provider to issue an accurate diagnosis. If you’re not sure if you require a psychiatrist or a psychologist who does talk therapy, the Thriveworks office in Nashua, NH can help match you to the right provider who can help.
What Are the Best Treatments for Depression?
There are a variety of ways to help support people in their recovery from depression, including the following:
- CBT, which aims to modify maladaptive thought patterns and beliefs to improve psychological and behavioral health
- Dialectical behavior therapy, a type of CBT that helps regulate emotions
- Supportive therapy, which enables a person to use their own resources to improve general functioning
- Psychodynamic therapy, which uses self-reflection and self-examination to shed light on the origins of distress
- Holistic remedies like meditation and progressive muscle relaxation
- Mindfulness therapy
- Lifestyle modifications addressing exercise and nutrition
- Family therapy or couples therapy, which includes loved ones in depression recovery
- Behavioral activation, which focuses on a person’s behavior and environment
- Prescription pharmaceuticals like antidepressants, prescribed by a Thriveworks psychiatrist, which can be used in the short-term or long-term to support recovery
What Are the Different Types of Depression?
Different kinds of depression require different approaches to treatment. The depression counselors at Thriveworks in Nashua, NH look at risk factors, family history, environment, and other assessments to give a specific diagnosis. Depression can fall into the following categories:
- Major depression
- Mild depression
- Manic depression (bipolar disorder)
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder
- Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression
- Persistent depressive disorder or dysthymia
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Mixed depression with anxiety disorder
- Situational depression
- Psychotic depression
Depression often overlaps with other mental health conditions like alcohol use disorder (AUD) and anxiety.
Get Compassionate Depression Counseling at Thriveworks in Nashua, NH
Mental health care is health care, and you deserve the best. The fully licensed depression counselors at Thriveworks in Nashua, NH accept most major forms of health insurance, helping to make their premium services affordable to all who need it. Thriveworks counselors offer in-person therapy or online counseling, depending on the client’s preferences. Call the Thriveworks office today and meet your top-rated counselor as early as tomorrow. We look forward to helping you recover from depression.