Becca has been feeling off for quite a while. Despite her best efforts, her fatigue, sadness, and apathy seem to follow her from one day to the next, creating an endless spiral that leaves her overwhelmed. Many of the things that she once enjoyed feel distant, and she’s lost touch with many of the people she once relied on.
These changes have hurt, and Becca knows that she’s been slow to do anything about the problem. But one of the main issues that she’s faced with is her inability to pinpoint what’s caused her mood to decline into what she thinks could be depression. Even though Becca has never talked to a mental health professional, she knows that having a provider’s guidance and support could help her along the road to recovery.
Like Becca, many people experiencing the weight of depression aren’t sure where to turn. But at Thriveworks in Louisville, KY, our team of mental health professionals helps everyday people to overcome and manage their depression. If you’re interested in connecting with one of our therapists, counselors, or psychiatrists, give us a call today.
Could I Be Depressed? What Does Depression Feel Like?
Depression is a complex mental health condition, so the symptoms and signs can vary drastically from person to person. With this in mind, there are several common signs of depression to watch out for, including:
- Feeling chronically fatigued
- Overeating or avoiding eating
- Lack of self-care (i.e. personal hygiene or a clean living environment)
- Abusing drugs or alcohol to cope with emotional pain
- A noted lack of interest in sex, hobbies, or relationships
- Feeling distant from loved ones and friends
- Decreased work performance
These are only a few of the many different ways that depression can manifest in your life. If you’re diagnosed by a provider at Thriveworks in Louisville, KY with depression, you may find that your experience and symptoms vary. That’s why it’s so important to speak candidly with one of our mental health professionals—doing so can help them to more accurately treat and recognize your emotional needs.
Can Depression Therapy Help Me?
For many people, attending depression therapy sessions can often be a great way to move forward while dealing with the symptoms of depression. At Thriveworks in Louisville, KY one of our counselors, therapists, or psychologists can help you to work through what’s causing your depression. Our providers will:
- Use talk and behavioral therapy to implement coping strategies for you to use in your personal and professional life
- Work with you to better understand your depression
- Serve as a verbal and emotional outlet for the burdens of this mood disorder
The provider that you’re paired with will depend on the type and severity of your depression. For many people, talking with a counselor or therapist is an efficient form of treatment. But for others with more persistent or severe cases of depression, meeting with a psychiatrist, who can prescribe helpful medication, is a more effective way to manage their symptoms.
Are There Different Types of Depression?
There are many forms that depression can take, but some of the most common include:
- Postpartum depression: Postpartum depression affects women who’ve given birth; those who underwent caesarian sections or had a miscarriage are at higher risk. This disorder can onset immediately or months after childbirth.
- Bipolar disorder: Bipolar disorder can cause depression when the mood swings that it induces fluctuate. Those with bipolar disorder may feel extremely happy for a minute, and furious or dejected in the next.
- Major depression: This disorder causes emotional detachment, sadness, hopelessness, and apathy. Those who suffer from major depression may become socially isolated, further exacerbating their condition. It’s what most people think of when they hear the word “depression”.
- Minor depression: As the name implies, this is less severe than major depression but just as harmful. Because those with this disorder may go long periods without feeling depressed, identifying what’s triggering their sadness can be difficult for those with minor depression.
Schedule Depression Therapy at Thriveworks in Louisville, KY
If left untreated, depression can create distance between you and the people and things you care the most about. There’s no need to let depression call the shots in your life—so reach out to Thriveworks in Louisville, KY today. Our scheduling specialists will help you with the enrollment process, and when you’re finished, you’ll get instant access to insider perks, like:
- Online therapy options: Meet with your provider virtually, and enjoy the freedom to do so from home or the office.
- Our Therapy Buddy app: A personal progress assistant that helps track your journey as you attend therapy.
- A digital copy of “Leaving Depression Behind”: A valuable resource that aims to help people recover from and cope with anxiety.
- 23.5 hr cancellations: You can cancel your appointment up to 23.5 hours beforehand.
- The ability to talk with a life coach at Thriveworks: Our Q/A chat line can help you answer those burning questions in-between appointments.
At Thriveworks in Louisville, KY, you can find the provider and type of depression therapy that fits your needs. Don’t delay finding relief; give our office a call when you’re ready.