Do you ever have feelings or emotions that you can’t quite explain or identify? Maybe you’ve had a long week, or work isn’t going quite as you’d planned, and at the end of the day, you may be feeling sad, lonely, or a little “off.”
Life is full of unexpected changes, and it’s normal to have fluctuations in your mood or emotions. But sometimes life’s challenges can cause changes to your mental health that may be confusing or difficult to manage on your own. Even mild or moderate mental health issues can cause disruption to your relationships, performance at school or work, or your ability to perform basic daily tasks.
Mental health professionals like psychologists can help you understand and manage your mental health issues, and keep them from interfering with your life. Whether you are dealing with a major life change or a mental illness like anxiety or depression, a licensed psychologist at Thriveworks in Lawrence, KS can guide you through the problems you are facing.
When To Consult a Clinical Psychologist?
Psychologists help people manage a wide variety of mental health issues, from mood disorders and personality disorders to addiction and body image issues. You don’t have to be suffering from a major depressive disorder or serious mental illness to benefit from therapy or counseling. A psychologist can also help you through major life transitions and give you the tools to keep yourself mentally healthy in the long run.
People seek therapy with a clinical psychologist for many reasons, including the following:
- Grief or loss are normal parts of life, but losing a loved one (whether a friend, family member, or pet) can be difficult to manage. Everyone grieves differently, but avoiding the reality of loss can lead to more serious, long-term issues. A psychologist can help you find healthy ways to cope with your grief.
- Stress and anxiety are normal, even necessary emotions that help us perform daily tasks but certain aspects of life can be more stressful than others. In certain cases, anxiety can become overwhelming, resulting in significant mental and physical symptoms. Psychologists can help you identify the source of your stress or anxiety and teach you how to manage it.
- Depression is a serious but treatable mental health condition that can cause major disruption to your daily life and make you feel sad, hopeless, or worthless. A psychologist can help you manage these emotions and deal with negative thoughts, substance abuse, and other harmful behaviors.
- Phobias can cause excessive fear, dread, or panic. Phobias can be minor at times but they can also be severely disabling and cause major life disruption. They can be difficult to manage without the assistance of a mental health professional.
- Family and relationship problems are extremely common because, let’s face it, no family or relationship is perfect. A psychologist can help resolve conflict or improve communication between partners, siblings, and other family members.
- Mental health disorders such as bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can manifest in various ways and may be difficult to diagnose without help. A licensed psychologist can diagnose and treat the symptoms of your condition and manage it long-term.
If you’re experiencing a mental health issue or going through a difficult time, an experienced psychologist at Thriveworks in Lawrence, KS can help.
Getting Help: What Does Psychological Treatment Involve?
Psychologists are highly trained mental health professionals who can diagnose and treat mental and emotional health issues. A psychologist often has a doctoral degree and may concentrate in a specialty area such as child therapy, depression, or anxiety. A licensed psychologist can help you manage short-term problems or long-term issues that are impacting your mental health or daily life.
When you begin treatment with a psychologist, they will assess your personality, concerns, symptoms, and emotional state to offer a diagnosis and create a unique treatment plan. Your psychological treatment will be highly personalized and may include therapy, prescription medication, or suggestions for lifestyle adjustments.
Common types of therapy a psychologist may recommend include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), interpersonal therapy, psychodynamic therapy, and humanistic therapy. Your treatment plan may involve one style of therapy or a combination of a few.
If you’d like to speak with a psychologist, Thriveworks in Lawrence, KS can connect you right away with a provider who is right for you.
Psychology Appointments Are Available at Thriveworks in Lawrence, KS
If you are experiencing new or ongoing mental health issues, a psychologist at Thriveworks in Lawrence, KS can help you manage your symptoms and pursue a healthier, happier future. We can often accommodate new clients within 24 to 48 hours so you can begin getting help whenever you’re ready.
Thriveworks also offers the following membership benefits to all clients:
- Evening and weekend appointments
- Online counseling opportunities
- Phone and email access to providers between therapy sessions
- Flexible 23.5-hour cancellations
- A counselor-moderated community discussion
When you are ready to regain control over your mental health, a psychologist at Thriveworks in Lawrence, KS is ready to help. Call or book online today — you can thrive, we can help.