Marriage can be hard. Each partner enters the union with a figurative suitcase full of their own complex goals and desires—not to mention their own history and learned behaviors. Some of your individual patterns may mesh well with your spouse, but some of them may be a recipe for conflict. You may try to model your relationship on what you saw in your family growing up, but your partner grew up with something totally different, and so they have different expectations for what’s “normal” and what’s not.
Couples and marriage counselors can help partners recognize what works and what doesn’t work in their relationship. These specialized therapists can help you navigate painful issues and stumbling blocks in communication. Marriage counselors can strengthen your relationship by helping you carve out a unique standard that works for you individually, and as a couple. Thriveworks couples and marriage counselors in Lakewood, OH are here to help keep the peace at home and fortify your bonds.
Who Sees Couples Counselors?
If you think that couples and marriage counselors only exist to treat very damaged or irreparable relationships, you would be incorrect. Lots of happy celebrity couples have been open about the strides that they’ve made in marriage counseling. For instance:
- Barack and Michelle Obama
- Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard
- Will and Jada Pinkett Smith
- Pink and Carey Hart
- Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott
These are just some of the married celebrities who have told the media about their positive experiences in couples counseling. And just imagine all the A-list couples who see marriage therapists but choose to keep that information under wraps in interviews! You and your spouse can share as much or as little as you like to friends and family—and the media!—about your own experiences in therapy.
Misconceptions About Couples and Marriage Counseling
There are a lot of misconceptions surrounding couples and marriage counseling. Let’s clear up the misinformation so you and your spouse can understand precisely what couples therapy can bring to the table. Here are some of the most common myths about marriage counseling:
- You should be able to fix it yourself/asking for help is a sign of weakness.
- Mythbuster: It actually takes a lot of strength and courage to acknowledge when you need help. Humans are sensitive, complex creatures. We can carry unspoken pain with us for decades without knowing it. It’s brave to ask for expert guidance in unraveling the mysteries of how we relate to each other.
- My counselor will probably just take my spouse’s side.
- Mythbuster: A marriage counselor is highly trained to unwrap and understand the perspective of both parties. Thriveworks couples therapists will encourage or gently correct both of you in your behaviors and communication styles. The goal isn’t to reprimand or blame one member of the relationship. The goal is to bring you closer together.
- My counselor will fix all our problems.
- Mythbuster: A marriage counselor isn’t the cure-all for what’s troubling you in your relationship. Scheduling an appointment with a couples therapist at Thriveworks in Lakewood, OH is only the first step in a more comprehensive journey. Thriveworks mental health providers can give you the tools and resources to help resolve conflicts in your marriage, but ultimately your relationship is yours and your spouse’s, not your therapist’s.
- Once we start therapy, we’ll be there forever.
- Mythbuster: Marriage counseling is more likely to be brief and solution-focused than a lifelong endeavor.
- We’re not an average couple. We’re Christian/LGBTQ/interracial so our counselor can’t possibly understand our particular marital struggles.
- Mythbuster: Thriveworks couples therapists and marriage counselors have experience helping all kinds of unique couples. You can search our extensive provider biographies and credentials to find your Thriveworks marriage therapist in Lakewood, OH.
How to Schedule a Marriage Counseling Session
First, talk to your spouse. Marriage therapy is most effective when both spouses are committed. If you’re having trouble communicating in person, then consider writing a letter or email to your partner, outlining the reasons why you think your relationship could benefit from attending a therapy session together. Once you’re both on board, you can call the Thriveworks office in Lakewood, OH to schedule your first appointment and meet your provider within 24-48 hours.
Make Your Appointment with a Marriage Counselor in Lakewood, OH Today
The Thriveworks office in Lakewood, OH opens early and stays open late so you can feel confident that a human being will pick up the phone, rather than a voicemail recording. We want to help match you to the best counselor for you and your spouse. Enrollment benefits at Thriveworks range from our super-flexible cancellation policy to free access to mental health resources like videos and e-books. We look forward to scheduling you with a great marriage counselor today!