Us humans are prone to worry: about projects and productivity at work; raising our children “right”; keeping our significant other happy; paying all of the bills on time; spending enough time with family; tidying up the house. This list can vary from person to person but one thing is always true: it is a long list and it can drive us mad. Fortunately, we can find comfort in the fact that it’s completely normal to worry. However, it’s important that we understand and identify when this worry has gotten out of control.
Anxiety, by definition, is excessive or uncontrollable worry. If your worry has escalated to this heightened degree and you are experiencing significant distress as a result, consider working with an anxiety therapist or psychologist. These professionals are experts on anxiety—they understand the harmful symptoms that accompany anxiety, from fatigue to loss of appetite and many others, and they can help you learn to better manage the symptoms specific to your disorder. Whether it’s generalized anxiety you’re dealing with or a more specific anxiety disorder (such as social anxiety), a skilled therapist can help.
“Nothing is permanent in this wicked world—not even our troubles.” –Charlie Chaplin
Are you looking for Hartford therapy to help anxiety? The anxiety therapists and psychologists at Thriveworks Counseling in West Hartford are skilled professionals and leaders in their field. They truly care about their clients and are dedicated to using their skills, training, and experience to help these individuals manage the symptoms of their disorder and live happier, healthier lives. If you are experiencing anxiety, reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in Hartford County today. We can set you up with an anxiety therapist who will help you change your life for the better. Give us a call at (860) 553-3374 when you are ready to schedule your appointment.
Am I Suffering from Anxiety?
Do you experience worry that feels more extreme than a normal level or amount? Does your worry cause you to feel physically ill or uneasy? You might be struggling with anxiety. Mimi Akhand, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist at our West Hartford office, explains that “some of the earliest signs are overthinking, nervous energy, rapid heart pace, trouble focusing and sweating.” That said, anxiety is characterized by a variety of harmful mental, behavioral, and physical symptoms. While these symptoms can vary on a person by person basis, here are common symptoms:
- Excessive or uncontrollable worry
- Feelings of restlessness
- Lack of concentration
- Trouble falling or staying asleep
- Tense muscles
Trying to manage any combination of the above symptoms can prove difficult, not to mention this effort can have negative effects on your wellbeing. Fortunately, you don’t have to do this alone. You can work with a professional to better manage your symptoms, understand where your anxiety might stem from, and enjoy your life again. Reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in West Hartford, CT when you’re ready to get to work with one of our anxiety therapists or psychologists.
What Are the Main Types of Anxiety?
As we mentioned previously, there are different forms of anxiety, of which vary in symptom presentation and severity. Here are 5 of the major anxiety disorders:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD): Generalized anxiety is characterized by day to day worry, even when there is nothing clear to worry about.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): PTSD is characterized by anxiety stemming from a traumatic event, such as physical or mental abuse. Victims of trauma can develop a wide range of symptoms including flashbacks, nightmares, hypersensitivity, and more.
- Social Anxiety Disorder: Social anxiety is characterized by anxiety causes by social events or interactions. People with social anxiety disorder might feel anxious in any and all social situations or in a very specific situation (e.g., public speaking).
- Panic Disorder: Panic Disorder is characterized by extreme fear that can cause physical symptoms from dizziness to shortness of breath.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD): OCD is characterized by nonstop unwanted thoughts and repetitive behaviors that the individual feels compelled to perform.
If you’re dealing with one of these symptoms, reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in West Hartford. We have help available.
Schedule Anxiety Therapy at Thriveworks Counseling in West Hartford
Are you looking for therapy to help with your anxiety? Partner up with a Thriveworks Counseling anxiety therapist or psychologist in West Hartford. We want to help you manage your symptoms and better enjoy life again. You can reach us at (860) 553-3374, whenever you are ready to schedule your appointment. We’ll be here.