What comes to mind when you think of the word anxiety? For most of us, we might imagine the physical sensations that go along with it: a pounding heart, dry mouth, racing thoughts, and more. It’s normal to feel some anxiety every now and then. But occasional anxiousness is quite different from clinical anxiety— and considering that recent psychological research suggests up to 18% of Americans develop an anxiety disorder every year, we might be severely underestimating the extent and toll anxiety takes on our society.
Thriveworks in Waukesha, WI knows that therapy can be a successful solution to the damaging effects of anxiety. Our psychologists and psychiatrists specialize in treating anxiety via anxiety therapy. It doesn’t matter whether it’s your first time seeking mental health services or if you’re giving it another try. When you call our Waukesha, WI office, we’ll work hard to pair you with the therapist and treatment style that fits your needs. If you think you have symptoms of recurring anxiety, it’s time to connect with a Thriveworks therapist.
Anxiety: Symptoms and Disorders
Anxiety is a familiar sensation for most, but it’s important to consider how often you are feeling anxious. Though every client’s experience varies, not everyone with an anxiety disorder is going to be anxious non-stop. This can make it hard to know what’s going on—but our mental health professionals are here to help. Symptoms of an anxiety disorder might include, but aren’t limited to:
- Unexplainable sensations of impending doom
- Difficulty sleeping, to the point of insomnia
- Consistently feeling emotionally drained or on-edge
- Racing thoughts, uncomfortable thought tangents without end
These are some, but not all of the symptoms that an anxiety disorder might manifest as. Because anxiety disorders are a powerful disruptor to one’s daily life and happiness, those with a diagnosable anxiety disorder are often paired with a psychiatrist. Similar to a psychologist, our Thriveworks psychiatrists can use therapy to treat mental health issues. However, as qualified medical doctors, psychiatrists also have the ability to prescribe medication for their clients to help them cope and adapt. Even if your situation doesn’t require medication, the mental health professionals with Thriveworks can help you form a customized treatment plan.
We even provide additional benefits for those who enroll with us, including:
- Flexible scheduling times, including weekend and evening availability
- 24-hr life coach availability so you never have to wait to find answers
- Same and next-day appointments
- Access to Therapy Buddy, our mobile app
Thriveworks in Waukesha, WI also offers online therapy, a way for you to connect with your provider remotely. With online therapy, you can get the same personalized treatment and valuable insight as you would from an in-person session. If you feel like anxiety has gotten in the way of life, don’t hesitate to schedule a session with our world-class team of mental health professionals.
Do You Have An Anxiety Disorder?
Anxiety disorders take many forms, though the most common include the following:
- Panic Disorder: This type of anxiety disorder causes panic attacks, which are often triggered by negative feelings associated with past events, imaginary scenarios, or current stressors. Panic attacks have been described as causing pressure or pain in the chest, followed by rapid heartbeat and tingling in the toes and fingers.
- Social Anxiety Disorder: As the name suggests, social anxiety disorder manifests as sensations of fear and extreme restlessness in social scenarios. This disorder can be induced by a fear of crowded spaces, conversations with strangers or coworkers—even family members. Sufferers often become anti-social to self-treat their condition.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD): This anxiety disorder is the most common; it manifests in a wide variety of situations both real and imagined. For those with GAD, it can be difficult to pin down what’s causing their anxiety by themselves; therapy often helps them understand this condition more clearly.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Many people associate PTSD with veterans and first responders, but PTSD can affect anyone who’s had a traumatic event that they witnessed or experienced. PTSD can induce flashbacks and night terrors related to the related events
If you’re experiencing symptoms of anxiety, but aren’t sure whether or not you have a disorder, there’s no need to worry. If you decide to partner with one of our counselors, they can assist you in identifying the sources of your anxiety, as well as the different ways it might be manifesting. You’ll get professional help creating a treatment designed to deliver results.
Experience the Difference with Anxiety Therapy at Thriveworks in Waukesha, WI
When anxiety is distracting you from all of the good in life, don’t waste time debating whether treatment can help you. The newfound clarity and sense of wellbeing granted by therapy could make all the difference. If you’re interested in newfound freedom from your anxiety, give our mental health professionals at Waukesha, WI a call. Our therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists are standing by, ready to help you create a better today and a brighter tomorrow.