Charles Darwin once stated, “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Though this is the theory of evolution by natural selection in a nutshell, it’s also great motivation to go to therapy. You can be the smartest person in every room you enter, but if you can’t harness the psychological insights necessary to achieve good mental health, you’re still going to have trouble coping with daily stress and adversity.
The licensed psychologists at Thriveworks in Tigard, OR have the expertise, compassion, and experience to help clients grow as human beings, whether they need support in their relationships, with mental health conditions like depression and anxiety, or with developing practical strategies for improving their lives.
Why Mental Health Is Important
It’s impossible to overstate the importance of good mental health. It drives our decisions, our relationships, and our feelings. It determines how we relate to people and how well we cope with the stressors of daily life. It helps us achieve our goals and realize our fullest potential. Mental health can be influenced by a wide range of factors, including genetic, environmental, and social. Our life experiences and our early family life can also have a broad impact on our mental health.
So how do you achieve good mental health? One of the best ways to find your psychological strengths and work on your weaknesses is through professional therapy. The licensed psychologists, counselors, social workers, and psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Tigard, OR can diagnose, treat, and help prevent mental health conditions. But they can also help clients improve their mental outlooks in general through evidence-based, effective approaches.
What Is a Mental Disorder?
A mental disorder is a psychological condition that causes significant stress and disruptions in daily functioning. The psychotherapists at Thriveworks in Tigard, OR can help clients who are struggling with any of the following mental health disorders:
- Panic disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Eating disorders
- Personality disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
To accurately diagnose a mental disorder, a Thriveworks psychologist will perform a full evaluation, taking a client’s medical and family history, performing tests, and asking the patient about a wide range of feelings and experiences.
What’s the Difference Between a Counselor and a Therapist?
A licensed counselor typically focuses on practical problem-solving, so counseling sessions may take place over a shorter period of time than psychotherapy sessions. Therapists, also called psychotherapists, are specialists who use talk therapy to help people with emotional, behavioral, and interpersonal difficulties. In addition to counselors and therapists, Thriveworks in Tigard, OR also offers the following professional mental health providers:
- Psychologists (PsyDs or PhDs), who have masters degrees or doctorate degrees and can provide a variety of psychotherapies, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Psychiatrists (MDs), who are medical doctors who can prescribe medication and provide psychotherapy
- Telepsychiatrists (MDs), who are psychiatrists who provide online psychiatry services
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs), who provide counseling and practical guidance for local social services
- Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs), who provide couples, marriage, and family counseling
- Certified alcohol drug counselors (CADCs), who provide substance abuse counseling in Oregon
What Should I Look for in a Psychologist?
Choosing a psychologist can be a deeply personal choice, but there are a few main criteria someone should consider when they begin the search.
- The psychologist should be fully licensed and qualified. (All psychologists at Thriveworks in Tigard are licensed in Oregon.)
- The psychologist should be affordable. (Thriveworks psychologists accept most major forms of health insurance.)
- The psychologist should have experience treating your issue. (Psychologists at Thriveworks in Tigard, OR have a wide range of mental health specialities, including postpartum depression, social anxiety, anorexia, panic attacks, relationship conflicts, and more.)
- The psychologist should be able to meet with you in a way that’s comfortable and convenient. (Psychologists at Thriveworks can hold sessions in the modern, brick and mortar office in Tigard; on the phone; or online through secure telehealth software. Some clients even choose a hybrid counseling model.)
Find an Exceptional Psychologist at Thriveworks in Tigard, OR
The highly trained staff at the Thriveworks office in Tigard, OR can help match you to a psychologist or another type of mental health provider who is right for you. You can call during extended business hours or book an appointment online at your convenience. Most clients can meet with their provider for an initial session within 24-48 hours.
Thriveworks clients get additional enrollment benefits like email and phone access to their providers between sessions, and numerous exclusive educational resources like e-books and videos.
Call the Thriveworks office today and reach a human being, not a voicemail, who can answer your questions and book your appointment with an exceptional psychologist. We look forward to hearing from you!