The acclaimed science fiction author Ursula K. Le Guin once wrote, “No darkness lasts forever. And even there, there are stars.” It can be hard to see the bright side of depression when you’re suffering from feelings of despondency and mental exhaustion, but at the very least, those who emerge from depression can help other sufferers know they’re not alone. And it’s not their fault. Depression isn’t something you can control. It’s a serious mental health condition that often requires professional help to go into remission. And the earlier you intervene, the better.
The depression counselors at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA can help people who are overwhelmed by feelings of sadness and despair. Our licensed counselors have the compassion and expertise to provide evidence-based strategies and support to people experiencing depression. Our Thriveworks psychiatrists can prescribe medication to correct neurochemical imbalances that can lead to depression. And our counselors and psychotherapists can listen closely and guide you with expert resources until you’re feeling better.
What Are the Symptoms of Clinical Depression?
Symptoms of depression can vary from person to person, sometimes depending on cultural differences or whether you’re a man or a woman. For instance, someone who was raised to be stoic about their emotions may not wear their sad feelings on their sleeve. And a man may lash out in anger when he’s depressed, rather than internalize his feelings. A licensed depression counselor at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA can give a definitive diagnosis, but the following symptoms may indicate that someone is suffering mild to severe depression:
- A depressed mood that sticks around for longer than two weeks (continuously feeling sad and/or negative)
- Anhedonia (losing interest or pleasure in activities you normally enjoy)
- Overwhelming feelings of sadness, guilt, or worthlessness
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Psychomotor retardation (slowed-down thoughts and actions)
- Psychomotor agitation (sped-up thoughts and actions)
- Sleeping too much or too little (insomnia)
- Libido (sex drive) changes
- Irritability (which is more often a symptom in men than women)
- Changes in appetite
- Abusing substances like alcohol and drugs to self-medicate
Symptoms of depression could indicate any of the following depressive disorders:
- Bipolar affective disorder or manic depression
- Major, moderate, and mild depression
- Persistent depressive disorder (PDD) or dysthymia (depression that lasts longer than two years)
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) (depression that occurs during the months with less daylight and can be treated with light therapy)
- Postpartum depression (PPD) (depression that occurs after the hormonal changes of childbirth)
Who Is Prone to Depression?
Anyone can be vulnerable to depression, no matter how rich or successful you are. Sometimes the people who seem the happiest on the outside are those who need the most help with their feelings of sadness. The following celebrities have been vocal about their own battles with depression:
- Chrissy Teigen
- Lady Gaga
- Jon Hamm
- Kerry Washington
- Wayne Brady
- Owen Wilson
- Taraji P. Henson
- Kristen Bell
Depression can be caused by genetic, environmental, and social components. Once you experience one episode of depression, you’re likely to experience another one unless you get professional help from a mental health provider like a licensed depression counselor at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA.
What Happens When You Don’t Treat Your Depression?
If depression is left untreated, it can cause chronic health problems and further disruptions in your life. For example:
- Sleep disturbances
- Heart disease
- Weight gain
- Physical pain
- Compromised immune system
But the good news is that early intervention works. A licensed depression counselor at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA can meet with you online or in-person to diagnose, treat, and help prevent future episodes of depression. Depression can effectively be treated with psychotherapeutic approaches like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
The licensed psychiatrists at Thriveworks can also give you a full physical and psychological assessment to determine whether you could benefit from psychotropic medication. Then the psychiatrist can follow up with you online to make sure the medication is working as it should and there are minimal side effects. This is called medication management.
What Prescription Medications Are Used to Treat Depression?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a wide variety of psychiatric treatments for depression, including the following:
- Serotonin selective reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Selective serotonin & norepinephrine inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Tetracyclic antidepressants
- Serotonergic antidepressants
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) Receptor Antagonists
Psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA can prescribe the medication that works best for you, and modify the dosage or type of drug if needed.
Get the Help You Need from a Depression Counselor at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA
The licensed depression counselors at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA can provide expert, compassionate care that supports the whole person, not just the diagnosis. Our psychotherapy and psychiatric services are top-rated for a reason: Our providers really help people.
If you or a loved one is suffering from depression, there is hope. Call Thriveworks today and you can potentially meet with your exceptional counselor within 24-48 hours. Our providers accept most health insurance. We look forward to hearing from you.