The psychologist Albert Ellis once stated, “The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny.” Being accountable for your own thoughts, feelings, and behaviors is an important part of being a successful adult. But the path to self-knowledge and change can be hard, and many of us are flying blind. That’s where a professional psychologist can help shine a light on what our strengths and weaknesses are, and give us coping strategies to deal with hardship.
The licensed psychologists at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA can support clients in their journey toward mental wellness. Our highly trained, experienced mental health providers use a number of effective, peer-researched, evidence-based treatments and psychotherapies to illuminate problems and find practical solutions. The psychologists at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA have the expertise and compassion to help you achieve your goals in life.
What Exactly Is Mental Health?
Another important question is, how do you achieve mental health? It’s not always easy. Sometimes it takes hard work and resilience. Sometimes it takes professional support. Maybe you’ll get there one day by doing it all yourself, but you’ll encounter far fewer psychological obstacles in life if you ask for help as soon as possible.
Early intervention with mental health conditions can spell the difference between long-term problems and remission. The licensed psychologists at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA know that good mental health can serve as an anchor for all you may accomplish in the future. It’s an essential foundation in life.
Psychologist Vs. Psychiatrist: Know the Difference
It’s a critical first step to decide that you want or need mental health support, but now how do you know who to choose to provide that care? At Thriveworks in Riverside, CA we offer a full roster of licensed mental health professionals who can address your general psychological needs, or tackle more specialized issues. Here’s a quick primer to help you recognize our different mental health providers:
- Psychologists (PhDs or PsyDs), who can be counseling psychologists or clinical psychologists. They provide psychotherapy.
- Psychotherapists, which is an umbrella term for any counselors, social workers, psychologists, or psychiatrists who provide psychotherapy
- Psychiatrists (MDs), who are medical doctors who can prescribe medication and provide psychotherapy
- Telepsychiatrists (MDs), who are psychiatrists who provide online psychiatry services
- Licensed professional counselors (LPCs), who provide solution-focused counseling and psychotherapy
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs), who provide counseling and practical guidance for local social services
- Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs), who provide couples, marriage, and family counseling
- Certified alcohol and drug counselors (CADCs), who provide substance abuse counseling
When Should I Consider Seeing a Psychologist?
Everyone can benefit from the mental health services of a licensed, qualified, compassionate psychologist, but people often don’t seek help until they’re in distress or having trouble managing a problem. The psychologists at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA can treat any of the following issues, and more:
- Mild to severe depression
- Social anxiety
- Panic attacks
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Postpartum depression (PPD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Anorexia and bulimia
- Trouble sleeping
- Acute stress
- Maladaptive behaviors
- Anger management
- Family dysfunction
- Caregiver burnout
- Attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Feeling overwhelmed
What Are the Psychological Treatments for Depression and Anxiety?
Depression and anxiety are the two most prevalent mental health conditions in America, but fortunately, they’re both very treatable. The licensed psychologists at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA may use any of the following treatments to help clients overcome their anxiety and depression:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Affect regulation
- Progressive muscle relaxation
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Cognitive restructuring
- Socratic dialogue
- Substance abuse counseling
- Relapse management
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Behavioral activation
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR)
- Exposure therapy
A psychiatrist or telepsychiatrist on the Thriveworks team in Riverside, CA can also prescribe psychotropic medications to treat underlying neurochemical imbalances if necessary.
Start Your Relationship with an Exceptional Psychologist at Thriveworks in Riverside, CA
When you call the Thriveworks office in Riverside, CA, our trained staff can schedule you an appointment right away. You may meet with your licensed psychologist either online or in-person (depending on your preferences) within 24-48 hours. Our psychologists accept most health insurance so you can get premium care at affordable prices.
You also get additional enrollment benefits like online and email access to your Thriveworks provider between sessions. Don’t hesitate to call and find someone great to talk to. Our psychologists really listen! We look forward to helping you get started with an exceptional psychologist at Thriveworks.