On any day, at any moment, life as you know it can change—drastically. There is no possible way for us to know when we might experience something devastating like the death of a friend or family member, a natural disaster, and other events that evoke difficult emotions.
It can help to remind yourself that we can control one thing during these devastating moments and in their aftermath: How we move forward from here. When our mental health is bombarded with these challenges, we can choose to reach out for help from a mental health professional.
Psychiatrists can prove particularly helpful during these tough times, as they are able to diagnose mental disorders and assess other emotional disturbances. They can also offer different forms of treatment, including therapy and psychotropic medication.
Do you think that you could benefit from talking to a psychiatrist? Reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in Oakland, MI. We have online psychiatrists who would be happy to meet with you in a telehealth session of your choosing: either a phone call or videoconference. To schedule your appointment and get started, call (947) 217-3010.
What Is the Field of Psychiatry?
The field of psychiatry deals with the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of mental health conditions. And those who specialize in this field are called psychiatrists.
Psychiatrists are medical doctors and mental health experts who are qualified to evaluate physical, mental, social, and environmental factors of one’s psychological disturbances. These professionals work at different medical centers, including hospitals, rehabs, nursing homes, and counseling practices like Thriveworks in Oakland, MI.
People choose to work with a psychiatrist for many different reasons. They might suffer from symptoms of anxiety, hallucinations, a deep sadness, feelings of anger and aggression, panic attacks, and other unpleasant thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that make normal functioning unpleasant or difficult.
How Can a Psychiatrist Help Me?
As we detailed above, psychiatrists specialize in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental health conditions. Let’s take a closer look:
- Diagnosis of mental health conditions: To diagnose their clients, psychiatrists conduct psychological testing in addition to asking their clients for a self-report of symptoms. Both of these methods allow them to evaluate the state of one’s mental wellbeing and make a diagnosis.
- Treatment, including therapy and medication: Now, psychiatrists can design a plan of treatment for the individual, based on their unique needs. This treatment plan will likely involve therapy, medication, or a combination of the two.
- Preventative measures: Psychiatrists can also offer preventative measures for people at risk of developing a mental illness. If one starts to experience changes in thoughts or behaviors that cause concern a psychiatrist can help to prevent them from worsening.
If you could benefit from a psychiatrist’s care, schedule an appointment. Psychiatrists offer a safe, nonjudgmental space for their clients to talk about their thoughts and feelings, and how they relate to their mental health.
What Conditions Can Benefit from Psychiatric Treatment?
Psychiatrists have many different clients. These professionals can help people with a wide variety of mental health conditions, but here are some of the most common:
- Mood disorders including major depression and bipolar disorder
- Personality disorders like avoidant personality disorder
- Anxiety disorders including social anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Substance abuse and addiction problems
You don’t have to just put up with these uncomfortable or unpleasant symptoms. You can learn to manage and improve them with a psychiatrist as soon as today or tomorrow. Reach out to Thriveworks Counseling for the right help.
Work with a Thriveworks Psychiatrist in Oakland, MI
Thriveworks Counseling can set you up with one of our online psychiatrists the second you call our office. Online psychiatrists conduct their sessions in a virtual environment, including over the phone and via video chat.
If you’d like to schedule a telehealth session with one of our psychiatrists, reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in Oakland, MI now. You can call our team at (947) 217-3010 and our scheduling team will assist you!