Conflicts are inevitably going to arise in a healthy relationship. If two people were compatible all the time, it might indicate that their personal growth was stagnant, and no one wants that. Can you and your spouse work through conflicts with emotional honesty, love, and trust? Can you emerge on the other side of conflict with a stronger, more secure bond? It can be tough sometimes, which is why there are professional couples therapists.
The couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Norman, OK have the wisdom, compassion, and expertise to help guide couples toward greater understanding and enhanced communication. It doesn’t matter if you’re coming to therapy for an acute crisis like a love affair, or for regular maintenance to keep your relationship running smoothly—couples therapy and marriage counseling at Thriveworks can help.
What Is Couples Therapy? What Is Marriage Counseling?
Couples therapy is a type of therapy geared toward helping partners resolve conflicts, reconnect with one another, and solve other issues in order to improve their relationship with one another. Marriage counseling is essentially the same, but is technically directed specifically at married couples.
The goals of therapy sessions can vary from couple to couple, but many couples seek relationship counseling at Thriveworks in Norman, OK because they want to do the following:
- Resolve conflicts and reduce misunderstandings
- Improve communication
- Address addiction issues
- Address mental health issues
- Feel more secure opening up
- Reignite their spark
- Improve their sex life
- Get support for life changes
- Get Christian counseling
- Get premarital counseling
- Model a healthy relationship for children
- Feel more loved or appreciated
- Make more quality time together
The licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) at Thriveworks can help facilitate productive conversations about all these relationship issues, and more. Thriveworks therapists can also identify places where someone could benefit from individual counseling.
What Is the Best Marital Therapy?
Married couples and partners can find ways of improving their relationship through different psychotherapy techniques at Thriveworks in Norman, OK. For example, the following approaches can be useful in unlocking emotional truths and helping access each partner’s needs and desires:
- Gottman method, which employs love maps to help couples increase their respect and admiration for each other, and build shared meaning.
- Emotionally-focused couples therapy (EFCT), which can strengthen emotional bonds. Emotionally focused therapy looks at attachment and connection.
- Interpersonal therapy (IPT), which is a short-term therapy that looks at how relationships can affect mental health.
- Narrative therapy, which can achieve psychological insights by telling and retelling stories.
Is Premarital Counseling Useful?
Many engaged couples find premarital counseling useful as a way to prevent misunderstandings and conflicts after marriage. The couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Norman, OK can help identify areas where couples need guidance or clarification. In these couples counseling sessions, you may discuss the following:
- Roles each partner expects to play in a marriage
- Your values
- Notions about children and parenting
- Financial goals and spending patterns
- Communicate styles
How to Find Relationship Counseling
Relationship therapy can seem intimidating because it requires a certain level of emotional honesty and trust to be effective. But a couples counselor at Thriveworks in Norman, OK has the knowledge, objectivity, and authority to put couples at ease. They aren’t there to judge or choose sides, but to help everyone see the problem from different perspectives.
Before you choose a marriage counselor, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the therapist fully licensed in Oklahoma? (All the Thriveworks mental health providers in Norman, OK—and nationwide—are fully licensed or working toward licensure under supervision of a licensed mental health professional.)
- Can you and your spouse afford therapy sessions? (Thriveworks providers accept most health insurance plans, minimizing their clients’ out-of-pocket expenses.)
- Is the therapy convenient? (Thriveworks marriage counselors in Norman, OK can hold online therapy sessions or in-person sessions.)
- Is the therapist experienced in treating couples similar to you? (Marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Norman, OK work with all kinds of couples, including LGBTQ, Christian, and intergenerational.)
Is There Couples Therapy Near Me? Thriveworks Couples and Marriage Counseling in Norman, OK
When the stability and quality of relationships are neglected, couples grow stagnant and begin to disconnect emotionally. Some couples find that they can keep the spark alive just through regular date nights. But for other couples, that’s simply not enough. They recognize that they could save themselves a lot of distress, time, and heartache by seeing a professional marriage counselor at Thriveworks in Norman, OK.
The couples therapists at Thriveworks are top-rated, highly qualified, and ready to help couples. You can schedule an appointment quickly and easily using our online booking tool. Our scheduling specialists are also available over the phone to answer questions and help you get connected to the right mental health professional for your needs.
We look forward to getting you and your spouse the relationship boost you need! Book online or call today.