The neuroscientist Abhijit Naskar once stated, “Compatibility doesn’t determine the fate of a marriage, how you deal with the incompatibilities, does.” If two people were compatible all the time, it might indicate that their personal growth was stagnant, and no one wants that. Our job as humans is to continually learn and evolve. And why would you want to be with someone who was exactly like you? So conflicts are inevitably going to arise in a healthy relationship. Can you and your spouse work through conflicts with emotional honesty, love, and trust? Can you emerge on the other side of conflict with a stronger, more secure bond? It can be tough sometimes, which is why there are professional couples therapists.
The licensed couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Norman, OK have the wisdom, compassion, and expertise to help guide couples toward greater understanding and enhanced communication. It doesn’t matter if you’re coming to therapy for an acute crisis like a love affair, or for regular maintenance to keep your relationship running smoothly–couples therapy and marriage counseling at Thriveworks can help.
What Is the Goal of Couples Therapy and Marriage Counseling?
The goals of therapy sessions can vary from couple to couple, but many couples seek relationship counseling at Thriveworks in Norman, OK because they want to do the following:
- Resolve conflicts and reduce misunderstandings
- Improve communication
- Address addiction issues
- Address mental health issues
- Feel more secure opening up
- Reignite their spark
- Improve their sex lilfe
- Get support for life changes
- Get Christian counseling
- Get premarital counseling
- Model a healthy relationship for children
- Feel more loved or appreciated
- Make more quality time together
The licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) at Thriveworks can help facilitate productive conversations about all these relationship issues, and more. Thriveworks therapists can also identify places where someone could benefit from individual counseling.
What Is the Best Marital Therapy
Married couples and partners can find ways of improving their relationship through different psychotherapy techniques at Thriveworks in Norman, OK. For example, the following approaches can be useful in unlocking emotional truths and helping access each partner’s needs and desires:
- Gottman method, which employs love maps to help couples increase their respect and admiration for each other, and build shared meaning.
- Emotionally-focused couples therapy (EFCT), which can strengthen emotional bonds. Emotionally focused therapy looks at attachment and connection.
- Interpersonal therapy (IPT), which is a short-term therapy that looks at how relationships can affect mental health.
- Narrative therapy, which can achieve psychological insights by telling and retelling stories.
Is Premarital Counseling Useful?
Many engaged couples find premarital counseling useful as a way to prevent misunderstandings and conflicts after marriage. The couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Norman, OK can help identify areas where couples need guidance or clarification. In these couples counseling sessions, you may discuss the following:
- Roles each partner expects to play in a marriage
- Your values
- Notions about children and parenting
- Financial goals and spending patterns
- Communicate styles
How to Choose a Couples Therapist or Marriage Counselor
Relationship therapy can seem intimidating because it requires a certain level of emotional honesty and trust to be effective. But a couples counselor at Thriveworks in Norman, OK has the knowledge, objectivity, and authority to put couples at their ease. They aren’t there to judge or choose sides, but to help everyone see the problem from different perspectives.
Before you choose a marriage counselor, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the therapist fully licensed in Oklahoma? (All the Thriveworks mental health providers in Norman, OK–and nationwide–are fully licensed.)
- Can you and your spouse afford therapy sessions? (Thriveworks providers accept most health insurance plans, minimizing their clients’ out-of-pocket expenses.)
- Is the therapy convenient? (Thriveworks marriage counselors in Norman, OK can hold sessions online or in-person.)
- Is the therapist experienced in treating couples similar to you? (Marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Norman, OK work with all kinds of couples, including LGBTQ, Christian, and intergenerational.)
Reconnect to Your Spouse with Marriage Counseling at Thriveworks in Norman, OK
When the stability and quality of relationships are neglected, couples grow stagnant and begin to disconnect emotionally. Some couples find that they can keep the spark alive just through regular date nights. But for other couples, that’s simply not enough. They recognize that they could save themselves a lot of distress, time, and heartache by seeing a professional marriage counselor at Thriveworks in Norman, OK.
The couples therapists at Thriveworks are top-rated, highly qualified, and ready to help couples as early as tomorrow if you call the office today. Most clients can get an appointment within 24-48 hours. Thriveworks clients also benefit from additional enrollment benefits like email and phone access to their provider between sessions, and Thriveworks’ Ask-a-Coach 24hr Q&A service.
We look forward to getting you and your spouse the relationship boost you need!