Insomnia can quickly turn sweet, restful dreams into a restless nightmare. If you are like the many people who experience sleep disturbances, your mind and body are not getting the restorative sleep they need each night, and these sleepless nights have real consequences for your day: irritability, drowsiness, trouble focusing, and more. Sometimes, home remedies help for a while, but many times, insomnia sufferers need more.
If you have trouble falling asleep, if you wake after sleeping a few short hours, if you wake exhausted and drained, maybe insomnia has become your normal. But sleep disturbances are not normal, and insomnia counseling has helped many people find relief.
Are you living with insomnia but ready for better nights and days? Insomnia counselors at Kennesaw, GA take a thorough approach to insomnia therapy, and many of their their clients are now receiving the sleep their mind and body need.
Side Effects of Insomnia
The secret is out: sleep matters. Bodies need sleep to restore their nervous, muscular, immune, and skeletal systems. Sleep also improves the soul and mind. Adequate sleep can boost memory and cognitive ability. If sleep gives people all of these benefits, what if insomnia keeps people from getting enough sleep? Anyone who suffers from a sleep disturbance may have…
- Trouble focusing
- Weight gain
- Low sex drive
- Greater risk for physical and mental illness
- Poor job performance
Insomnia is a serious but common problem. Are you living with any of these symptoms? Maybe, you wake up in the middle of the night. Maybe, you sleep for two hours, wake for four hours, and then sleep for two more hours. Maybe, you sleep for two to three hours and then are awake for the day. Maybe your mind and body have a hard time falling asleep. You are tired, but you lie in bed, awake for hours. Then, the sandman finally comes an hour or two before you have to start your day. Maybe, it seems like you sleep all night. However, instead of waking rested, you wake exhausted.
What Causes Insomnia?
The causes of insomnia may be physical and/or emotional.
- Physical. Sleep habits are affected by exercise and diet. Insomnia can accompany health issues such as hyperthyroidism, chronic pain, menopause, and diabetes as a side effect.
- Emotional. Insomnia can be caused by an anxiety disorder or depression. Insomnia can be triggered by life changes and stress as well.
Sometimes, insomnia is its own issue. It may not have any accompanying mental or physical health problems or causes.
What Is Insomnia Counseling?
Insomnia can bring pain and frustration to the lives of those whose sleep is disturbed. Many people who suffer with insomnia wonder if they will ever sleep well again. If you have ever wondered this, know that cognitive behavior therapy has helped many people who suffer with sleep disruptions. The insomnia counselors at Thriveworks Kennesaw, GA offer their clients this thorough approach.
Our counselors help their clients by tailoring practical sleep strategies for them and addressing any specific emotional or physical causes for their insomnia. Our professionals know that underlying causes matter, but so does short-term relief from insomnia’s symptoms. That’s why we work with our clients for a multi-faceted approach. For example, they can help you understand and employ practical sleep strategies:
- Optimizing Your Sleep Environment. Sleep is affected by light, time, noise, and temperature. Insomnia counselors help their clients identify and maintain an environment in their bedroom that promotes rest.
- Monitoring Sleep Patterns. Our counselors can help their clients identify specific sleep problems by monitoring and analyzing their sleep patterns. Some counselors may ask their clients to keep a sleep log because each person experiences insomnia differently. Correctly identifying the problem is a big step toward correctly identifying the solution.
- Nurturing Sleep Hygiene. A good night’s sleep often starts during the day: healthy eating, enough exercise, reducing naps, and so forth. Good sleep hygiene during the day may lead to a good night’s sleep. Our counselors have worked with their clients to identify and promote these healthy habits.
Following these practical sleep solutions has brought much-needed relief to many of our clients, but a thorough approach to insomnia counseling means addressing insomnia’s underlying causes, too. Your insomnia counselor will help you tackle and accomplish this mission.
Schedule Insomnia Counseling at Thriveworks Kennesaw
Do you suffer from sleep disturbances? Seeking help from a caring, experienced insomnia counselor may be what you need to start working toward restful nights. Call Thriveworks Kennesaw, GA to schedule an appointment with one of our professionals.
Our insomnia counselors care about their clients, and they want to see them receive the help they need for their insomnia.