“Trauma creates changes you don’t choose. Healing is about creating change you do choose.”
Experiencing a trauma is a physical and emotional experience that can leave people confused, injured, and scared. The healing from a trauma is something no one should go through alone.
The licensed counselors, psychologists, and therapists at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY are here to help you through this healing process every step of the way. Each individual will react differently to trauma. No matter what you experienced in your past or what you are struggling with now, the mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY recognize and acknowledge your traumatic experience. All of your pain, anxiety, depression, anger, and whatever else you are feeling is valid.
People who have experienced trauma are fighting an exhausting, uphill battle. Together, Thriveworks can help bring you relief from this emotional pain.
What Are the Mental Symptoms of PTSD?
The human brain is a phenomenal organ that interacts with and shapes the world around us. This makes it susceptible to highly emotional events like trauma. Trauma can re-wire the brain to react like it is in danger, when in fact, it is entirely safe.
This is why you may find that something you see, hear, smell, touch, or taste can bring back the memories and emotions of a traumatic experience like it is happening in real time.
Some other signs you are struggling with a past trauma include:
- Recurrent, painful dreams
- Emotional numbness
- Feeling jittery/always on edge
- Difficulty concentrating
- Hesitancy to open up to other people, even those you trusted before the trauma
- Persistent fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame
- Diminished interest in activities you previously enjoyed
- Difficulty feeling positive emotions
- A general feeling of detachment from the world or yourself
- Continuous feeling of discomfort in stomach and gut
There are many more symptoms that could signify distress because of trauma. Reaching out for help is difficult, and we respect that you have the courage to do so! If you think you or a loved one may be struggling with trauma, it is always safest to call. The counselors at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY are trained to work through trauma in the best possible way for the individual client.
Children’s Reaction to Trauma
Children have unique brains and interactions with the world. However, this can make it difficult to discern if they are struggling to cope with a trauma. Children may display their distress differently than adults. Some signs of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in children include:
- Unusual attachment to parent or caregiver
- The apparent loss of speech or the refusal to speak even when prompted
- Acting out trauma in play
- A decrease in developmental level (example: no longer using the bathroom when needed)
It can be an equally distressing and terrifying time for the parent or caregiver to have a child in pain. Licensed trauma counselors at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY are equipped to help your child through the healing process.
How Do Therapists Treat Trauma?
Qualified therapists like those at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY can offer strategies to help you on your path to healing. The most common and well-researched approach is talk therapy, which comprises specific modalities like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy (TFCBT). Some examples of what talk therapy will entail include:
- Education on the symptoms of trauma
- Learning effective coping skills when symptoms do flare up (things like relaxation exercises, anger-management techniques, and guided imagery)
- Guidance on how to better manage sleep, exercise, and diet, all of which may have been severely impacted by the traumatic event and are vital in the healing process
- Identifying and addressing any guilt, self-blame, or other negative emotions surrounding what happened. The trauma is not your fault.
- Walking through the lingering fear and anxiety. It can be painful, but the unaddressed emotions play a large part in the negative aftermath of a trauma.
- Addressing any comorbid struggles such as anxiety or depression
Get Help for Trauma at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY
Trauma therapy is highly individualized. Everyone experiences and reacts differently to trauma. Thriveworks counselors in Buffalo, NY want to help you become independent and free of PTSD. You can call the office in Buffalo today and meet with a licensed counselor as early as tomorrow. Thriveworks providers also accept most major forms of health insurance.
Coping with trauma is complex and exhausting. The trauma therapists at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY are here to help you regain control and start on the road to healing. Don’t lose your present to your past. Give us a call today. We are excited to meet you and begin the healing process together.