Trauma and PTSD Therapy in Buffalo, NY—Therapists and Counselors at Thriveworks
“Trauma creates changes you don’t choose. Healing is about creating change you do choose.”
Experiencing a trauma is a physical and emotional experience that can leave people confused, injured and scared. The healing from a trauma is something no one should go through alone.
The counselors at Thriveworks Buffalo are here to help you through this healing process every step of the way. Each individual will react differently to trauma. No matter what you experienced in your past or what you are struggling with now, Thriveworks Buffalo recognizes and acknowledges your traumatic experience. All of your pain, anxiety, depression, anger, and whatever else you are feeling is valid.
People who have experienced trauma are fighting an exhausting, uphill battle. Together, we can bring you relief from this emotional pain.
What Are the Mental Symptoms of PTSD?
The human brain is a phenomenal organ that interacts with and shapes the world around us. This makes it susceptible to highly emotional events like trauma. Trauma can re-wire the brain to react like it is in danger, when in fact, it is entirely safe.
This is why you may find that something you see, hear, smell, touch, or taste can bring the memories and emotions of a traumatic experience back like it is happening in real time.
Some other signs you are struggling with a past trauma include:
- Recurrent, painful dreams
- Emotional numbness
- Jittery/always on edge
- Difficulty concentrating
- Hesitancy to open up to other people, even those you trusted before the trauma
- Persistent fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame
- Diminished interest in activities you previously enjoyed
- Difficulty feeling positive emotions
- A general feeling of detachment from the world or yourself
- Continuous feeling of discomfort in stomach and gut
There are many more symptoms that could signify distress because of trauma. Reaching out for help is difficult, and we respect that you have the courage to do so! If you think you or a loved one may be struggling with trauma, it is always safest to call. The counselors at Thriveworks Buffalo are trained to work through trauma in the best possible way for the individual client.
Children’s Reaction to Trauma
Children have unique brains and interactions with the world. However, this can make it difficult to discern if they are struggling to cope with a trauma. Children may display their distress differently than adults. Some signs of PTSD in children include:
- Unusual attachment to parent or caregiver
- The apparent loss of speech or the refusal to speak even when prompted
- Acting out trauma in play
- A decrease in developmental level (example: no longer using the bathroom when needed)
It can be an equally distressing and terrifying time for the parent or caregiver to have a child in pain. Thriveworks Buffalo trauma counselors are equipped to help your child through the healing process.
How Can Thriveworks Buffalo Help?
Trauma therapy is highly individualized. Everyone experiences and reacts differently to trauma. Our Buffalo counselors want to help you become independent and free of the PTSD.
They can offer strategies to help you on your path to healing. The most common and well-researched approach is talk therapy. Some examples of what talk therapy will entail include:
- Education on the symptoms of trauma
- Learning effective coping skills when symptoms do flare up. (Things like relaxation exercises, anger-management techniques and guided imagery)
- Guidance on how to better manage sleep, exercise and diet. All of which may have been severely impacted by the traumatic event and are vital in the healing process.
- Identify and address any guilt, self-blame or other negative emotions surrounding what happened. The trauma is not your fault.
- Walk through the lingering fear and anxiety. It can be painful, but the unaddressed emotions play a large part in the negative aftermath of a trauma.
- Address any comorbid struggles such as anxiety or depression.
Coping with trauma is complex and exhausting. The trauma therapists at Thriveworks, Buffalo are here to help you regain control and start on the road to healing. Don’t lose your present to your past. Give us a call today. We are excited to meet you and begin the healing process together.