Communication Skills Therapy in Buffalo, NY—Therapists and Counselors
Let’s take a quick quiz (don’t worry, you won’t be graded). Have you ever…
- Said, “What?” or “Say that again?” so many times that you eventually just nod and smile?
- Completely zone out during a conversation?
- Become so focused on what you want to say that you forget what your partner is saying?
- Offended a close friend or family member without meaning to?
- Walked away from a conversation more confused than ever?
- Started to talk and then finished fifteen minutes later, realizing you never made your point clear?
If you’re thinking that you probably failed that quiz, don’t worry. It’s safe to say everyone has done at least three of those, probably more! Communication is the key to success in relationships, jobs, and general wellbeing. So why is it such a struggle for some people?
Well, because…it’s hard. We, as humans, are focused on ourselves. It’s entirely normal and healthy. The skills required in communication require going beyond that natural egocentric approach. Without guidelines and practice, that’s hard to do. The counselors at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY have refined their communication skills through years of schooling and mindful practice. If you are ready to take that step to improve your communication skills, we are here to teach and support you.
What Is Communication Skills Therapy?
Essentially, communication skills therapy will do two things:
- Teach you helpful tools and tricks.
- Give you a safe, nonjudgmental space to practice them.
The mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY are by no means perfect in their communication skills. We simply have some techniques that work and are eager to share them with you. Our fully licensed therapists, counselors, and social workers strive to create an open atmosphere where you are free to ask questions, make mistakes, and learn. During a session, you may get the chance to practice how to:
- Form an emotional connection before engaging in communication. Practicing empathy while you’re communicating will enhance the conversation, prevent unintentional harm, and make it more productive.
- Use nonverbal cues to convey the right message. Tone, body posture, and eye contact are all taken in subconsciously and greatly impact the message being sent.
- Not get lost in your thoughts (use active listening). Most communication isn’t actually talking, it’s listening!
- Politely navigate a touchy subject. There will be things you’re highly passionate about, or ones that are a huge sore spot for people. These are all okay, if you can communicate effectively.
- Use “I” statements. Starting a sentence with “you” can sound aggressive and accusatory.
- Understand a different culture and approach it with sensitivity. Culture plays a huge role in how we communicate, as everyone communicates a little differently. You can break through the cultural barriers by working on your communication skills.
These are just some of the examples of what can be practiced in a session. The counselors at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY understand that each relationship—and therefore each conversation—is unique. We are here to listen to you and what you want to learn. We want to help you achieve your goals. Communication with a spouse is much different than communication with a child or boss.
No matter the situation, the exceptional therapists at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY are here to help you become the best you.
Why Are Communication Skills Important?
“Talking is just one aspect of my relationships; I can show my intent in different ways!” This is a common belief. And it is true, in part. There are many ways you can and should demonstrate your thoughts and emotions. A conversation with your boss about a pay raise should be accompanied by hard work. A deep talk about relationship commitment should be followed up by more intentional time spent with your partner.
But humans are social creatures. Ones that like to talk a lot. Communication is more than just talking, and it has more of an impact than just strengthening your silver tongue. The benefits of increasing your communication skills are many:
- Increased empathy and connection: Learning to truly listen and understand where a person is coming from will make it easier to do so in the future.
- Less tension and drama in relationships: Communication is the backbone on which all relationships are built. Communicate well and you’ll find a lot less stress in your relationships.
- More free time! How many books and movies do you know that have revolved around bad communication skills? Probably most of them. Incomplete communication skills leave unsolved problems and wrong solutions–messes you’ll have to clean up. Strong communication eliminates problems before they start, giving you more spare time.
Not a day goes by without you participating in some form of communication. Some may be small, like, “What do you want for dinner?” Some may be large, such as, “How do we address our financial problem?” All conversations need communication skills. Give Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY a call if you’re ready to communicate more effectively.
Improve Your Communication Skills with an Exceptional Counselor at Thriveworks in Buffalo, NY
Everyone can use a boost in their communication skills, whether they could benefit intimate or professional relationships. Call the Thriveworks office in Buffalo, NY today and you may meet with a licensed counselor of your choice as early as tomorrow. Thriveworks providers are recruited from the top 4% of applicants in the Buffalo area. They’re great at what they do, and they want to help you achieve your goals. Best of all, Thriveworks providers accept most major health insurance plans, so in-person or online counseling sessions can remain affordable. Call today to get started. We look forward to helping you improve your communication skills!