The author Mignon McLaughlin once wrote, “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” That’s a beautiful way of looking at intimate relationships, which are always changing because human beings are dynamic. We continuously grow as individuals, so our partnerships must fluctuate as well. But sometimes we hit roadblocks. Maybe one person is having new experiences, and their partner feels left behind. Or maybe one person is in psychological distress, and their partner doesn’t know how to help. And then there are times when circumstances that are out of a couple’s control threaten to disturb a union. In all these events, professional guidance can help.
The licensed couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Davenport, IA can help couples achieve their relationship goals through psychological insights, unbiased observation, and facilitating effective communication. Licensed marriage and family therapy (LMFT) at Thriveworks can also identify practical ways that couples can solve problems and clear up misunderstandings. And perhaps best of all, many of these therapy techniques can be highly effective in fewer than 12 therapy sessions.
What Is the Purpose of Couples Therapy and Marriage Counseling?
Marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Davenport, IA work to help couples achieve their short term and long-term relationship goals with focused therapy. Some couples seek marriage counseling to help do the following:
- Resolve previous fights and arguments
- Improve communication skills
- Reduce misunderstandings
- Address addiction issues
- Resolve conflict
- Feel comfortable opening up to each other
- Find their spark
- Improve their sex lilfe
- Receive mutual support for life changes
- Get Christian counseling
- Learn how to express needs and desires
- Cope with empty nest syndrome
- Model a healthy relationship for children
- Feel more loved or appreciated
Licensed couples and family therapists at Thriveworks in Davenport, IA accomplish these goals not by assigning blame or choosing sides, but by listening to the perspectives of both parties and helping partners find practical solutions to conflict.
Who Sees Couples Therapists?
These days, it’s broadly understood that a couple doesn’t need to be in crisis to see a couples therapist or a marriage counselor. Plenty of successful spouses see a therapist for maintenance, to reinforce their bonds, and to prevent upsets down the road. Many enduring celebrity marriages have been strengthened by couples therapy, for instance:
- Barack and Michelle Obama
- Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell
- Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott
- Gabrielle Union and Dwyane Wade
What Is Premarital Counseling? Is It Effective?
Premarital counseling can help couples navigate difficult and practical issues before their wedding, helping to prevent future issues down the road. Premarital couples therapy at Thriveworks in Davenport, IA might address any of the following questions and concerns:
- The roles you expect each other to play in a marriage
- What your values are
- How you feel about children
- Your financial situation and spending patterns
- How you communicate
- Your families
Thinking about and articulating your thoughts on these matters before marriage can help smooth the way later on, and lead to a more satisfying marriage.
How to Find the Best Couples Therapist or Marriage Counselor
Ideally, you and your spouse should both agree on your couples therapist. This may take some time and research, because you may have differing expectations for a therapist and may need to compromise on some criteria. But you can find common ground right away when you consider the following necessities for an effective counselor:
- The marriage counselor should be fully licensed and authorized to treat clients in Iowa. (All the mental health providers at Thriveworks in Davenport, IA–and nationwide–are fully licensed.)
- You should be able to afford sessions with your therapist. (Thriveworks mental health providers accept most health insurance plans, minimizing out-of-pocket expenses for clients.)
- The therapy should be convenient and within everyone’s comfort zone. (Thriveworks marriage counselors in Davenport, IA can hold counseling sessions online or in-person.)
- The licensed marriage and family therapist should be experienced in treating couples similar to you. (Marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Davenport, IA work with all kinds of couples, including LGBTQ, interracial, Christian, engaged, and intergenerational.)
Reignite Your Spark with Marriage Counseling at Thriveworks in Davenport, IA
Whether you’re looking for a boost in your sex life or are experiencing a crisis that’s threatening your marriage, the couples therapists at Thriveworks in Davenport, IA are here to help. When you contact our office, our staff can usually arrange your first appointment with a licensed, top-rated counselor within 24-48 hours. Your premium care can take place online, from the comfort of your home; in our modern Thriveworks office; or a combination of both. When you enroll at Thriveworks, you can also benefit from email and phone access to your provider between sessions.
Call Thriveworks today and find out what makes our compassionate, erudite, and insightful marriage counselors so exceptional. We look forward to hearing from you and your loved one.