Thriveworks Counseling, Grand Rapids, we’ve noticed that the city continues to grow and change. As it does, it is providing more opportunities to get out into the community and meet like-minded individuals for networking, friendship and romantic relationships.
If you are stuck in a “social isolation” rut and are looking for some fresh, new ways to get out into the community, here are some tips and ideas.
1. Join a networking group or professional club
There is a plethora of networking groups in Grand Rapids. They often don’t cost much to join, meet regularly and provide ample opportunity to meet people interested in the same things you are.
Choose something that speaks to you and join up! Some examples include:
- Grand Rapids Young Professionals
- Business Network International
- Referral website for more
2. Try something new
This great city offers many different types of classes and interesting educational opportunities. Everything from cooking, to hot yoga, belly dancing, drama and fencing — some of these classes are even offered for free!
Sometimes a great way to get to know others, and to better know ourselves, is to volunteer for something we are passionate about. This is a great way to get involved in the community and meet other people, while doing something positive at the same time.
There are some really wonderful places to explore in Grand Rapids. Sometimes we don’t take advantage of some of the most fascinating places in our own cities. I am guilty of living 5 minutes from Lake Michigan and never making it to the beach!
You never know who you could meet or what you could learn by exploring some of the following:
- Frederik Meijer Gardens
- Grand Rapids Downtown Market
- Wander through the Amway Grand Hotel
- Go on a Guided tour (how about letting someone else show you around?)
- ExperienceGR is a great resource and even have suggested itineraries (you don’t even have to plan anything!)
* – Ask the staff to show you around and tell you some history (this is one of my personal favorites). I love everything about this space! I found the staff to be especially accommodating and kind to our requests for information and history.
5. Take a drive
Southwest Michigan is one of the most beautiful places in our country. We have some of the best beaches in the world! From lighthouses, to fabulous small downtowns, antiques and wineries – the places to explore are endless!
Some suggestions include:
- South Haven
- Lakeshore Harvest Country (New Buffalo/Buchanan area)
Wonderful restaurants, downtown area, nightlife and arts/art galleries
Fabulous and accessible beaches, quaint downtown, great festivals, several wineries have also popped up in the area lately
Wineries galore! This area has become quite the hub for wineries and wine tours. Amazing architecture, beautiful scenery and New Buffalo is even home to a world class casino.
Are You Struggling with Socializing?
Do you have reservations or concerns about stepping outside of your comfort zone to meet new people and try new things? How about working on those fears with a Thriveworks counselor or coach?
At Thriveworks Counseling Grand Rapids, we can focus on helping you overcome the obstacles that are in the way of you feeling fulfilled and happy.
Give us a call today at 616-425-2176 to schedule your first session!