Depression Counselors, Therapists in Tucson, AZ—Counseling and Therapy
At a point in your life when you felt heavy, listless, and sad, did you ask yourself, “Am I depressed?” It would be hard to find a person who hasn’t, since all of us experience setbacks, losses, and disappointments that seem to drop us into an emotional hole that’s difficult to get out of. And, if we begin to fear we will never climb out, it’s an important question to ask… and answer. If the answer is yes, we are certainly not alone!
Depression is a very common mental disorder. Globally, over 300 million people of all ages suffer from depression. It is the leading cause of disability worldwide, affects more women than men and, at its worst, can lead to suicide. Sadly, less then 50% of those affected actually seek the very effective psychological and pharmaceutical treatments that are currently available. At Thriveworks Tucson, we are committed to both reducing the stigma around having depression and working with those who seek our help to address the debilitating symptoms.
If you are actively asking this question yourself or wondering about a person close to you, look for these symptoms:
- Depressed mood/persistent sadness
- Less interest/pleasure in activities previously enjoyed, loss of sexual desire
- Unintentional weight loss (without dieting) or low appetite
- Insomnia (difficulty sleeping) or hypersomnia (excessive sleeping)
- Psychomotor agitation, for example, restlessness, pacing up and down
- Delayed psychomotor skills, for example, slowed movement and speech
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Impaired ability to think, concentrate, or make decisions
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide, or attempt at suicide
While identifying that more than two of these are accurate could indicate a need to reach out for help, recurrent thoughts of death or suicide is an indicator that immediate attention is needed. Call us now to get help for depression in Tucson!