Perhaps your family has had the same argument again and again. Or maybe your parents haven’t spoken to each other in weeks or your older sister has begun behaving strangely after moving out of state.
All family systems experience problems from time to time. Consider the families below:
- Mark and Aysha have twin sons who are finishing their last year of high school. The boys have done well academically and would like to attend competitive — and expensive — colleges out of state. The couple wants to help their sons pay tuition but they both disagree about how much to contribute. To make matters more complicated, the boys disagree about whether they should accept the help and it’s caused a rift in their relationship.
- Taylor has been playing football since he was seven years old. But a recent tackle has left him feeling dazed, disoriented, and just not himself. He doesn’t want to miss any of his upcoming games, so he self-medicates with prescription painkillers he receives from a teammate. After weeks of taking the pills, he’s finding it hard to stop even though the pain has subsided.
- The Moores have had the same Labrador Retriever since their daughter, Carlee, was a toddler. When their beloved pet passes, the family is heartbroken. Carlee, who has just started high school, is especially shaken. Her parents are worried about her.
Whether your family is dealing with financial strain or the death of a beloved family pet, your problem deserves care and attention. Family therapy can provide a safe space to discuss your family’s concerns in a productive way.
The ultimate goal of family counseling is to equip each family member with the tools to communicate, listen, and engage. If you believe your family could benefit from learning these and other skills, please consider reaching out to us at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX.
Common Reasons To Pursue Family Counseling
There are many reasons that families choose to attend therapy sessions. Some of the most common reasons include the following:
- Dealing with physical illnesses. When a family member has a physical illness that requires long-term care, it impacts the entire family. Learning how to be supportive can go a long way in promoting physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
- Resolving sibling rivalry. All siblings bicker from time to time, but when siblings are constantly fighting, it may be time to seek the help of a professional family therapist. A trained psychologist, therapist, or another mental health professional can reinforce positive behavioral practices and improve communication skills.
- Separation or divorce. The dissolution or temporary pause of a marriage can have profound effects on children. A professional can help you talk to your children about any upcoming changes to the family’s structure.
- Different parenting styles. When parenting styles differ, it can cause friction in the household and confusion for children, which can often result in behavioral problems. A therapist can help parents come to agreements about their children’s overall well-being.
A trained professional can address other family problems such as substance abuse, major life transitions, and mental illnesses. To see if therapy or counseling is the right choice for you and your family, please phone us at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX.
How Therapy Can Help Your Relationships
Making the decision to pursue therapy is the first step in improving your family’s relationship. We know that family systems are incredibly personal, which is why our counselors and therapists take a compassionate approach to providing care.
We take the time to learn about your specific issues and provide customized treatments to help solve current problems and prevent future ones from arising. Group therapy is especially good at helping families open up lines of communication, encourage active listening, and promote conflict resolution.
We’ve worked with countless families to restore civility, hope, and balance, and we would love to do the same for you. Give us a call or click our booking tool to get started at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX.
Schedule a Therapy Session at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX
Family is important. No matter your specific issue or problem, we’re dedicated to providing long-term care to you and your relatives.
People sometimes hesitate to receive family therapy because they don’t think they have the time for it. But our Thriveworks team members have made things easier by offering weekend and evening sessions to accommodate busy schedules and providing remote therapy appointments via phone calls or video chats.
You and your family will have access to exclusive online videos, 24-hour life coach services, and a counselor-moderated message board. We accept many different types of insurance and clients get access to mobile support for billing and scheduling matters.
If you’d like to see what family counseling can do for you and your loved ones, call us today at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX. We look forward to seeing you soon.