Life Coaching in Scranton, PA—Counselors and Therapists
In the hit show Friday Night Lights, Coach Taylor gathers his team in the locker room before a big game, “Listen to me,” he tells his players. “I said you need to strive to better than everyone else. I didn’t say you needed to be better than everyone else. But you gotta try. That’s what character is. It’s in the trying.” Eric Taylor’s character is based upon some of the best coaches who have ever lived. Good coaches push, inspire, and achieve. Their players reach heights no one expects—except the coach, of course. After a success, good coaches gather their players, just as Coach Taylor did, and they look their players in the eye and say, “I am in awe in each and every one of you gentlemen.” That type of encouragement spurs his players on to the next achievement. What would it be like to have a Coach Taylor in your life? Many people are working with a life coach because they know that coaching is not just for high school football teams.
Good coaches help people in many areas of their lives. A number of reasons can lead people to reach out to a life coach, but think about just two…
- They want to accomplish a life goal. Achievement often requires clarifying the target and the path toward that target. Whether people want to pursue a growing career, to cultivate deep relationships, or some other form of achievement, goals are an important tool. Life coaches often work with people to set and achieve their goals.
- They are experiencing unforeseen and/or particularly challenging circumstances. Life can change on a dime. A life changing diagnosis, a round of lay-offs, or an ended relationship can mean tomorrow’s life will look very different than today’s. How can you navigate the change and establish a new normal? Many people work with a life coach to do just that.
Most people can resonate with one of these two, if not both. All people have hopes and dreams. Life can throw unexpected roadblocks into anyone’s life. Working with a life coach can make all the difference in navigating those roadblocks or in achieving those goals. That’s why Thriveworks Scranton offers life coaching. Our life coaches have worked with many clients—inspiring, guiding, and encouraging.
Self-Awareness and Success
One barrier to achieving success is muddied vision for what success is. Everyone defines success differently. For some, success may be learning how to date as a single parent. For some, success is reaching the next rung on their career ladder. For others, it means setting up a support system as they begin chemo. The key is knowing what you need and asking for it. This requires self-awareness. When people do not know where they are going, they rarely arrive.
When people grow in their self-awareness, they often can clarify their vision for success and base it upon their needs, strengths, weaknesses, values, and priorities. When people use their internal compass to guide their decisions, life is often happier, smoother, and less dramatic. There are many exercises that life coaches can use to help their clients grow in self-awareness and put them more in touch with their needs, strengths, weaknesses, values, and priorities, but one of the most common is “The Miracle Question.” The miracle question asks clients to pause reality for a moment and dream. What would life look like if you woke up one morning, and all your problems were solved? What would have changed? The question comes in many forms. For example, life coaches might ask…
- Where would you be living? Who would be living with you? What factors contributed to that dynamic?
- Who would be in your life? What would those relationships look like and how would they function?
- What educational opportunities would you have and why?
- How would you relax? Vacation? Where would you go to rest and be reenergized?
The answers to these questions may or may not be realistic, but they give people valuable insights into what they value. Life coaches can often translate that self-knowledge into important life adjustments.
Why Set Goals?
Setting goals that represent people’s values and priorities takes effort, but study after study has shown that this effort is well worth it. People who set goals that align with who they are and what they value consistently achieve more than those who do not. Why? Goals have many benefits. They can
- Spark important but difficult action steps.
- Eliminate distractions as people focus their attention upon what matters most to them.
- Keep people’s mental process aligned with their actions.
- Provide motivation during difficulty and challenges.
- Promote people’s self-control.
Meeting with a Life Coach with Thriveworks Scranton
If you are considering working with a life coach, know that not all life coaches are the same. The industry does not regular who calls themselves a life coach, but at Thriveworks, our life coaches are also licensed, professional counselors. You will meet with a professional who has mental health training and experience. Our staff is also credentialed with many insurance panels, so you may be able to pay for your life coaching with your insurance.
Want to know more? Thriveworks Scranton offers weekend and evening appointments because we understand that many people cannot make an appointment during business hours. New clients also may meet with their coach within 24 hours of their first call to our office.
Let’s work together. Contact Thriveworks Scranton today.