Schedule a Depression Counseling Appointment in Sandy, UT
Sameer had everything going for him. He was the most popular guy at the office and he was a devoted husband with a beautiful family. He had a charm and charisma that made everyone he spoke to feel like they were his best friend.
But suddenly, Sameer didn’t seem like himself anymore. He started showing up to work late and his performance was slipping. He had trouble getting out of bed some mornings and finding the motivation to get dressed. He was detached when he was with his wife and kids and felt like he had a cloud hanging over his head.
If this sounds at all like you, you might be suffering from depression. It’s one of the most common mental health conditions globally, with millions exhibiting symptoms of this mood disorder in the United States alone.
Depression can feel scary and isolating, but you don’t have to fight it alone. At Thriveworks in Sandy, UT, our mental health counselors are trained to help you turn your life around.
Causes and Types of Depression
People can become depressed for many reasons. Sometimes there is a specific triggering event and other times it may come on slowly or randomly.
That said, some of the most common causes of depression include:
- Death or the loss of a loved one
- Physical, sexual, or mental abuse
- A family history of depression
- Drug and substance abuse
- Serious illnesses
- Side effects of certain medications
- Major life changes or events
While there are many types of depression, some of the most common varieties include:
- Major depressive disorder, characterized by several depression symptoms for two weeks or more
- Seasonal affective disorder, where depression occurs in the colder months and is believed to be triggered by the changes in light exposure
- Postpartum and premenstrual dysphoric disorder, where depression is experienced after giving birth and during menstruation, respectively
- Bipolar disorder, which causes one to experience an extreme change in mood, experiencing manic and depressive episodes
How Depression Affects People
Depression can affect different people in different ways. It can cause you to significantly change the way you feel, think and act. You may even feel like a completely different person.
For example, you may be overwhelmed by feelings of sadness, or you may simply feel numb and unmotivated. You may lose your appetite, have trouble sleeping, or feel foggy when thinking. Some depressed people have thoughts around self-harm or suicide.
Additional symptoms include:
- Hopelessness and feelings of despair
- Loss of interest in things you once enjoyed doing
- Intense fatigue or insomnia
- Anxiety and nervousness
- Irritability with friends and family members
- Fluctuating appetite and weight
- Outbursts of emotion and mood swings
No matter where you lie on the spectrum, it is a good idea to take depression seriously. Anxiety and depression are not temporary moods that you can just ‘snap out of’ or ignore until they disappear. Just as you would get treatment for a broken bone or a virus, it is important to seek professional help if you’re not feeling yourself.
How Seeing a Therapist Can Help
The most effective form of treatment for depression is counseling, sometimes used in conjunction with prescribed medication. Since each case of depression is unique, our mental health professionals are trained to understand your situation before they customize a treatment plan that is right for you.
Working with a therapist can help you:
- Learn skills to cope with your depression
- Regain balance and fulfillment in your life
- Understand the causes of your depression and identify methods of dealing with them
- Work towards preventing a future recurrence
- Combat negative thoughts in a therapeutic way
- Foster a healthier relationship with yourself and others
- Set goals that are realistic and achievable
Schedule an Appointment Today in Sandy, UT
At Thriveworks Counseling in Sandy, UT we have qualified therapists who are trained to walk you through the entire healing process. New patients can expect to schedule a session in as little as 24 hours, with appointments available via video chat, telephone and in-person. Members also get access to a flexible cancellation policy as well as unlimited text support to confirm appointments, make billing changes and reschedule appointments.
Thriveworks takes most major insurance plans and members can take advantage of a number of exciting enrollment benefits including complimentary educational videos, a lively and moderated community discussion, and our popular Therapy Buddy app. New members also get access to a free e-Copy of “Leaving Depression Behind,” a choose-your-own-adventure book to help you on your journey.
If you are struggling with depression, make an appointment with the caring staff at Thriveworks in Sandy, UT. We can help you turn things around and bring happiness back into your life.