Family Therapy and Counseling in Rockville, MD
Home should be an anchor, a port in a storm, a refuge, a happy place
in which to dwell, a place where we are loved and where we can love.”
–Marvin J. Ashton
Is this how you would describe your home? Are you encompassed by love? Are the relationships that you have with your family members healthy? We want you to know that it’s normal to fight with your loved ones and to get thrown off balance every now and then. We also want you to know that piecing these relationships back together is extremely important—as the state of our relationships play a huge role in our overall health and happiness.
If and when you encounter difficult times with family members, consider talking to a family therapist about it. Thriveworks Counseling has compassionate and professional family therapists who can help you in an in-person or online setting as soon as today.
Family Therapy Helps Families Resolve and Correct Unhealthy Patterns
Family therapy is a type of psychotherapy that aims to reduce and resolve familial conflicts. This works by gathering all members involved in or affected by the given problem(s) and guiding them through discussions about said problems. The major difference between family therapy and other forms of therapy is that the former views the problems as “systems” that need tweaking.
Family therapy isn’t just for blood relatives. In this day and age, family is defined as those who play a meaningful or supportive role in one’s life. Regardless of if you are related by blood or not, maintaining good relationships with these individuals play an important part in the trajectory of your wellbeing, happiness, and success. If there is a problem that’s throwing these relationships off balance, a family therapist can help you correct the problematic systems and get back on track. Here are some common issues that families seek this professional help for:
- Traumatic experiences
- The loss of a family member
- Domestic abuse or violence
- Divorce or separation
- Parental conflicts
- Behavioral problems in kids
- Addiction or another form of mental illness
Thriveworks Counseling has therapists who are trained to help people address these issues (and others). They will help you and your family to correct any harmful habits or patterns that are harming your relationships with one another.
Common Approaches to Family Therapy
Those who lead family therapy (most often Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists), have received training and additional qualifications to lead this type of counseling. Here are a few of the most common approaches to family therapy, explained:
- Structural family therapy model: This approach to family therapy focuses on restructuring the family’s current operations. It is common for family therapists who utilize this approach, to address issues of hierarchy (e.g., ensuring that the parents or adults are in charge and functioning as a team in raising the children).
- Systemic family therapy model: This model looks closely at the meaning behind specific behaviors and highlights the importance of the cues that we send our loved ones. Family therapists who utilize this approach introduce exercises that allow the family to work through why they are experiencing a given problem.
- Strategic family therapy model: This approach is best for families looking for short-term treatment. The family therapist will lead their clients in understanding communication techniques, hierarchies, and more to better understand what is causing the negative or unhealthy interactions amongst family members.
The therapists at Thriveworks get to know their clients (specifically, how counseling can help them) and then they come up with the treatment plan. If you decide to pursue family therapy at Thriveworks Counseling in Rockville, MD, this is what you can expect in beginning work with your provider.
Schedule Family Therapy at Thriveworks Counseling in Rockville, MD
The state of our relationships is a major factor in our health, wellbeing, and happiness. If your relationships with your family members don’t feel quite right, consider talking to a professional about it. Family therapists and psychologists are experts at assessing familial issues and helping their clients work through these challenges.
To schedule a family therapy appointment at Thriveworks Counseling in Rockville, MD, call our office or do so using the online booking widget.