A fan of all things sweet, Colette loves to bake cakes, cookies, and other treats for herself and her colleagues.
But when life gets challenging, Colette overconsumes. In a single sitting, she eats plates and plates of food. After her binge eating, she always feels incredibly guilty. She wonders why she can’t stop herself from overeating even though she wants to. The higher her anxiety levels, the more and more she eats.
After years of stress eating and dieting, Colette decides to make a change. She contacts her local Thriveworks counseling center and sets up an appointment with a licensed psychiatrist. Her provider meets with her and diagnoses her with an eating disorder. Because of his medical degree, he is able to prescribe medication to address Colette’s anxiety, the root cause of her eating disorder. He also administers dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) to help Colette manage her compulsive behaviors.
Psychiatric treatment isn’t just for severe mental disorders. Psychiatrists can support anyone who feels intense emotional or mental distress. Whether you can identify with Colette’s anxiety or disordered eating, or you have another mental health concern entirely, consider scheduling an appointment with us at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX.
Common Psychiatric Services
Mental and emotional distress can feel especially taxing because so much of the distress happens in our heads, hidden from others. To further complicate matters, we sometimes talk ourselves into believing that what we’re feeling isn’t real because we often can’t pinpoint the cause of the distress.
But your feelings are real. No matter what your mental illness or disorder is, others have been in similar shoes and reaching out for psychiatric assistance is quite common.
Some of the reasons people seek professional help include:
- Mood disorders such as major depressive disorder and persistent depressive disorder.
- Personality disorders such as bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder.
- Anxiety disorders such as panic disorder, separation anxiety, and phobias.
- Substance abuse involving medication, drugs, and alcohol.
- Addiction to sex, gambling, and other activities.
Having a mental or emotional disorder can often feel like being stuck in quicksand. You can see the way out but you don’t know how to get there. Our psychiatrists can be the helping hand you need to pull yourself from whatever situation you’re in.
If you’re ready to get unstuck, consider scheduling an online appointment to be seen by a Thriveworks psychiatrist in Sugar Land, TX.
Psychiatrists: Who They Are and How They Can Help
Board-certified psychiatrists are trained to treat a variety of illnesses. Because of their years spent in medical school, they can offer services that other types of providers cannot, such as prescribing medicine and treating the physical ailments that may come with psychological disorders.
Depending on the disorder, a psychiatrist may recommend anti-anxiety medications, stimulants, antidepressants, mood stabilizers, and other forms of medication.
But prescriptions aren’t right for everyone. And if they are right for your situation, they may be just one part of your treatment. Typically, your provider will create a treatment plan that follows these steps:
- Assessment. They’ll get to know you and your symptoms, concerns, and personality. They may also review your medical history and family history as part of the diagnostic process.
- Treatment. They’ll create a treatment plan that may include medication, therapy, or some combination of the two. Common types of therapy include interpersonal therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), psychoanalysis, and exposure therapy.
- Prevention. They’ll help you identify your triggers and create a plan to help you address future problems. This may involve self-care such as meditation and journaling. It may also involve grounding techniques and other strategies you can use at home.
Therapy is a partnership. Your provider will work with you to create an approach that addresses your needs and equips you with the skills to handle future concerns. To get started, call us at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX to set up an appointment. We look forward to pairing you with a provider who can support you on your mental health journey.
Book Your Appointment With a Professional at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX
When you work with us at Thriveworks, you’re working with professional providers committed to excellent care. We offer a number of enrollment benefits to make it as easy as possible to receive the treatment you need. These includes:
- Online appointments over video or by phone
- Weekend and evening appointments
- In-between access to your provider via phone and email
We also offer an online Q&A service with a life coach, a community message board, and mobile support for scheduling and billing matters. We accept a variety of insurance plans and have a flexible cancellation policy as well.
It takes strength to take the first step. Together, we can create a treatment plan that gets you where you want to be. Call us today at Thriveworks in Sugar Land, TX to schedule an appointment.