Stacey has never liked being alone. Ever since she was a child, she has craved attention from anyone and everyone. Now a mother with two teenage children, her desire for validation has not stopped.
She often praises her children excessively and lavishes them with attention only to accuse them of ignoring her or hating her immediately afterward. Whenever her children hang out with their friends, Stacey’s mood plummets. She feels lonely and abandoned and refuses to believe that her children still care for her.
After a long weekend away at band camp, her children return to find their mother binge eating. It appears she hasn’t moved from her spot on the couch during the week that they were gone. Concerned, they reach out to their school’s counselor for guidance. She suggests that their mother seek professional help.
It takes time to convince Stacey that seeing a mental health professional is the right choice. But when she does decide to speak with a psychiatrist, he diagnoses her with borderline personality disorder, a treatable mental disorder. He uses cognitive behavioral therapy to help Stacey work on her self-perception and medications to mitigate her depression and mood swings. In time, Stacey finds balance.
Whether you’re experiencing a mood or anxiety disorder, or another mental health issue entirely, a psychiatrist can provide the support you need to manage your symptoms and regain control. You can schedule an appointment with a provider at Thriveworks in Bismarck, ND to develop a treatment plan that fits your specific circumstances.
The stigma around mental and emotional health doesn’t have to stop you from pursuing your own personal wellness. Plenty of people have sought and benefited from psychiatric assistance, and there’s no reason you can’t, too.
Common Reasons To Visit a Licensed Psychiatrist
Because no two clients are exactly alike, psychiatric treatment options can differ from person to person depending on their symptoms, concerns, and goals.
Common reasons to see a board-certified psychiatrist include:
- Anxiety disorders, such as panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder
- Mood disorders, such as bipolar disorder and persistent depressive disorder
- Substance abuse, including the use of drugs and alcohol
- Addiction, such as to gambling, sex, or other activities
Mental illnesses can be stressful to deal with on your own. That’s why meeting with a psychiatrist can be so helpful in your mental health journey. When you’d like to take your first step toward wellness, please call us here at Thriveworks in Bismarck, ND to schedule an appointment with a licensed psychiatrist.
How Do Psychiatrists Diagnose, Treat, and Prevent Disorders?
Psychiatrists are mental health professionals with a medical degree. They have received years of hands-on training that helps them assess, diagnose, and treat clients with mental disorders.
What differentiates psychiatrists from other licensed providers is their medical school training, which allows them to prescribe medication in conjunction with other treatment techniques.
During psychiatric sessions, a psychiatrist will typically:
- Diagnose your illness. This is typically done by getting to know you and learning about your emotional, mental, and physical symptoms. It may involve a review of your medical history, psychological questionnaires, and lab work.
- Treat your disorder. Providers use talk therapy or other forms of therapy to offer long-term treatment that helps you cope with and manage your concerns. Psychiatrists are also licensed to prescribe medications if that would be helpful for your situation.
- Prevent illnesses and disorders from occurring. When you tell your provider about your symptoms, behaviors, and family history, you give them the tools they need to help you mitigate potential future problems. Through treatments such as medication and cognitive behavioral therapy, they can help you stop problems before they turn into crises.
After you set up an appointment with us at Thriveworks in Bismarck, ND, we’ll provide a safe space for you to work through your unique challenges. Give us a call to get started.
Psychiatry Appointments Are Available at Thriveworks in Bismarck, ND
Anxiety and mood disorders can be managed with proper treatment and care. Our professionals at Thriveworks have helped many clients cope with their symptoms and lead happier, more engaged lives. We would love to do the same for you.
We offer a community-based support system with offices open early and closed late. Our providers can be reached between sessions via phone or email, and online counseling services are available by video chat and phone.
We realize that finances play a big role in whether or not people pursue therapy. That’s why we’re proud to accept a number of different insurance plans and we make our prices affordable for those paying out of pocket.
If you’re new to Thriveworks, a provider can often see you within 24 to 48 hours. We also offer a variety of membership benefits including our online community discussion board and virtual life coaching Q&A service.
Call us at Thriveworks in Bismarck, ND to schedule an appointment with a board-certified psychiatrist. You can thrive — we can help.