Monroe Psychiatry—Psychiatrists in Louisiana
Psychiatrists are mental health professionals and medical doctors who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of behavioral health conditions. They’ve gone through medical school and have received extensive residency training to diagnose and treat mental health concerns. In addition, they are qualified to safely prescribe medications to those who would greatly benefit from them.
If you’re feeling anxious, depressed, are struggling with an eating disorder, or are having any other mental disorder concerns, working with a psychiatrist can be the key to living happily and healthily again. For example, you might be ready to tackle your depression symptoms or need a boost in self-confidence.
At Thriveworks Counseling in Monroe, LA we have a team of psychiatrists readily available to provide you with mental health care. And they can do so virtually from the comfort of your own home. When you’re ready to schedule your first appointment, just reach out to our office.
How Do I Know If I Should See a Psychiatrist?
Due to the fact that psychiatry covers a wide array of mental illnesses, there are many reasons why you might want to seek psychiatric care. Every person will have a different reason specific to their situation. However, here are some factors you might want to consider:
- You are showing symptoms of a serious mental illness such as anxiety, loss of interest, decreased mood, disturbing thoughts, hallucinations, or mania
- Addictive behaviors including substance abuse and gambling
- Low-self esteem or body image issues
- Violent or aggressive thoughts and behaviors towards yourself or others
- Feeling overwhelmed or hopeless
- You are a victim of any form of abuse (emotional, physical, or sexual)
- You have been referred by a medical professional or therapist
A psychiatrist will be able to conduct both laboratory and psychological testing to help determine the cause of your symptoms and provide a professional assessment of your mental state. If something feels off, reach out to our office as soon as possible.
Possible disorders that you might be experiencing could include:
- Eating Disorder: Anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating
- Personality Disorders: Borderline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, paranoid personality disorder
- Learning Disorders: Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia
- Mood Disorders: Bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, minor depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder
- Anxiety Disorders: Generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder
Your psychiatric mental health professional will utilize various methods and techniques to give you the best diagnosis and treatment plan for your needs. Talk therapy, medication treatment, cognitive behavioral therapy, electroconvulsive therapy, and psychotherapy are just a few examples.
Can Psychiatric Medication Help Me?
Some people may feel nervous or hesitant when the topic of psychiatric medication is discussed. Sometimes it’s assumed that only the most severe cases could benefit from a prescription. However, that’s not the case. Both mild and severe symptoms can be improved with medication.
If you and your psychiatrist decide that you are a good fit for a mood stabilizer, antidepressant, or other psychiatric medication, you will begin medication management. Medication management ensures that you take the correct dosage, take your medicines at the right time of day, and with or without food (depending on your exact prescription).
Before starting anything new, be sure to disclose any necessary medical history, allergies, and current medication you might be on. Should you have any questions or think you might need to switch your prescription, reach out to your provider and they’ll guide you through the next steps to take.
Get Started With a Psychiatrist at Thriveworks Counseling in Monroe, LA
We understand that getting mental health help can often be viewed as “taboo.” However, just know that this mentality is antiquated. There is no shame in working towards becoming the best version of yourself with the help of a trusted mental health professional.
At Thriveworks Counseling in Monroe, we believe that getting the help you need is a smart decision. To make the process as easy and as accessible as possible, we also offer competitive benefits, including:
- Evening and weekend appointments
- Flexible online counseling options (live chats and telephone options)
- Same- and next-day appointments
- Access to exclusive, helpful video and e-book content
- No waitlist
And more. When you’re ready, give us a call. One of our scheduling specialists will help you find the perfect day and time to get started.
We look forward to working with you soon.