Grief Counseling in Miami, FL—Grief Therapists and Counselors
Liz and her grandma were really close. She often spent the night at her grandma’s house into her teenage years and made it a point to visit whenever she could. Liz and her grandma also traveled together and made a lot of great memories. When Liz’s grandma was diagnosed with cancer, she didn’t think much of it. That was until she passed away after only a short period of time. At the funeral, Liz felt angry—angry that her grandma passed, angry at family members who weren’t crying, angry that her younger sister couldn’t comprehend what was going on. It’s taken Liz awhile to not be angry anymore, but she’s still having a really hard time coping with her loss. She decides to reach out for the help of a grief counselor.
What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes part of us.” –Helen Keller
Death of a loved one, and even a major loss of a job, can turn someone’s world upside down in just a moment. Grief is often overwhelming and complex. Many people seek therapy to help them cope with their loss and the feelings associated with grief. Thriveworks Miami grief counselors have helped many clients process their feelings and rebuild after their loss. Our counselors are compassionate and dedicated to being the support system their clients need when they need it the most. Reach out today to get started on your journey to healing.
What Are the Stages of Grief?
Grief is a natural response to losing something or someone we love. The way grief affects you is different than how it may have affected someone you know. There are five stages associated with grief and they act as guides to how you may be feeling. How quickly you move through the stages or how badly they affect you is all unique to you and your situation. There is no right or wrong way to grieve.
The five stages of grief are:
- Denial: In this first stage of grief, it can be hard to accept what has happened. For Liz, she might not be fully accepting of the fact that her grandma actually passed away. For someone who lost a job, they may feel like it’s just a joke.
- Anger: The second stage of grief is anger. This is when Liz was just flat out mad at everyone and everything during her grandma’s funeral. It can be hard to accept that something so horrible has happened and you may end up pushing people away.
- Bargaining: This is when people often need the most support and can feel the most vulnerable.
- Depression: Depression may be when things start to really settle in. Depression is hard and can make things like getting up and dressed difficult. You often feel like a weight is on your chest.
- Acceptance: The final stage of grief is acceptance. This is when you can finally start coming to terms with your new situation and feel at peace moving forward.
While it’s hard to reach acceptance, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. At Thriveworks Miami Counseling, our goal isn’t to make you move on and forget about what happened. We aim to help our clients feel at ease and learn how to remember the positives.
Counseling for Grief: Symptoms
When starting to work with one of our grief counselors, you will discuss your challenges and goals for overcoming this process in life. Grief counseling often has two goals: understanding and acceptance. When you work with one of our counselors, you will be given coping mechanisms and skills to use moving forward. We want to help you come to terms with what happened, openly address your emotions, facilitate healthy communication, and find peace. If you are struggling with any of the following symptoms, you may benefit from working with a therapist:
- Loss of appetite
- Lack of focus
- Unusual sleeping patterns
There is no direct path to overcoming grief, but many people do find that working with a grief therapist is worth their time and effort. At Thriveworks Miami, we gladly offer our clients the support and understanding they have been looking for.
Make an Appointment for Grief Therapy at Thriveworks Miami, FL
Are you ready to get the help you need? Reaching out is an important step toward healing. At Thriveworks Miami, we have flexible scheduling options and have availability during the days, evenings, and weekends. In addition, we do not operate with a waiting list and can get you into your first session within 24 hours of your initial call. To get started, visit our online booking portal or by calling (305) 307-5162. Our scheduling specialists will help you find a time and date that works best for you.
Don’t wait any longer. Let us help you get back to a place of happiness and better wellbeing.