Erie Psychiatry—Psychiatrists in Pennsylvania
Psychiatry is a branch of medicine that focuses on diagnosing and treating mental health disorders. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of mental health disorders.
Psychiatrists can assess their clients’ symptoms, provide a diagnosis, and then create an effective treatment plan. This treatment plan might involve talking to a therapist in weekly sessions, taking medication each day, or both. They work with children, individuals, and families.
If you are feeling anxious or exhibiting symptoms of different emotional disorders, talk to a psychiatrist. They can provide you with the help that you need. Here at Thriveworks Counseling in Erie, PA, we have online psychiatrists who can provide you behavioral health help in a virtual environment.
We believe that you should have access to the mental health care you need when you need it. That’s why when you call to schedule an appointment, one of our scheduling specialists can fit you in as soon as today or tomorrow. Just reach out when you’re ready.
How Do I Know If I Should See a Psychiatrist?
Due to the fact that psychiatry covers a wide array of mental illnesses, there are many reasons why you might want to seek psychiatric care. Every person will have a different reason specific to their situation; however, here are some factors you might want to consider:
- You are exhibiting symptoms of a serious mental illness (e.g. anxiety, loss of interest, decreased mood, disturbing thoughts, hallucinations, or mania)
- Addictive behaviors including substance abuse and gambling
- Low-self esteem or body image issues
- Violent or aggressive thoughts and behaviors towards yourself or others
- Feeling overwhelmed or hopeless
- You are a victim of any form of abuse (e.g. emotional, physical, or sexual)
- You have been referred by a medical professional or therapist
A psychiatrist will be able to conduct both laboratory and psychological testing to help determine the cause of your symptoms and provide a professional assessment of your mental state. If something feels off, reach out to our office as soon as possible.
Possible disorders that you might be experiencing could include:
- Eating Disorder: Anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating
- Personality Disorders: Borderline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, paranoid personality disorder
- Learning Disorders: Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism spectrum disorder, dyslexia
- Mood Disorders: Bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, minor depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder
- Anxiety Disorders: Generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder
Can Psychiatric Medication Help Me?
Some people may feel nervous or hesitant when the topic of psychiatric medication is discussed. Sometimes it’s assumed that only the most severe cases could benefit from a prescription. However, that’s not the case. Both mild and severe symptoms can be improved with medication.
If you and your psychiatrist decide that you are a good fit for a mood stabilizer, antidepressant, or other psychiatric medication, you will begin medication management. Medication management ensures that you take the correct dosage, take your medicines at the right time of day, and with or without food.
Before starting anything new, be sure to disclose any necessary medical history, allergies, and current medication you might be on. Should you have any questions or think you might need to switch your prescription, reach out to your provider and they’ll guide you through the next steps to take.
Work With a Psychiatrist at Thriveworks Counseling in Erie, PA
You can get started with one of our psychiatrists as soon as today if you call to schedule your appointment right now. In addition to same- and next-day appointments, Thriveworks Counseling in Erie can offer other benefits, like:
- Evening and weekend appointments
- Flexible cancellations with just a 23.5-hour notice
- Access to your provider between sessions as needed
- Exclusive access to videos and other helpful resources
- No waitlist
When you’re ready to work with a psychiatrist in Pennsylvania, visit our booking portal or call one of our offices:
Thriveworks in Bensalem: (215) 874-8002
Thriveworks in Bethlehem: (484) 241-2848
Thriveworks in Philadelphia (Center City): (215) 543-6271
Thriveworks in Philadelphia (JFK Blvd.): (215) 543-6271
Thriveworks in Philadelphia (South 40th Street: (267) 314-8112
Thriveworks in Philadelphia (Center City): (215) 399-9764
Thriveworks in Pittsburgh: (412) 208-6279
Thriveworks in Pittsburgh (Fourth Avenue): (412) 436-3108