1 Comment

Does anyone have any experience dealing with anxiety related insomnia. Im so tired as I can go days with no sleep. This all started 5 months ago. Im currently taking buspar at 15mg and lunesta 3mg and received no sleep last night. Any help would be much appreciated. I have tried many medications with only a couple days of sleep then fails.

Posted new comment

How does it all (anxiety) begin?
Anxiety is everywhere and in everyone. Aside from the usual statements made by clients: – I wake up anxious – or – whenever this happens, I become very anxious – , the knowledge of anxiety as a constant has been well evidenced by scholars in the past fifty years. In this position, it is implied that, at best, one can learn to tame anxiety until this becomes a relatively dormant undercurrent that, in the right amounts, could even become productive in keeping us on edge. The right amount of crazy! Another implication of this position is that anxiety is not created by any single event but rather an existent energy that is heightened by an event.

How do we respond to anxiety?
The information I have shared so far can be an interesting read but my clients do not know about this nor care about this unless this can be of some use in relieving them from this seeming epidemic of all-time-high anxiety. To be useful, attention must be paid to the way in which we usually respond to what would otherwise (if we didn’t pay some much attention to it) be normal levels of anxiety.
A man I greatly respect, once spoke to me of feelings and thoughts of anxiety as wasps and of our natural response to anxiety as the way in which we react to a wasp flying around our heads. Our impulse is to slap the wasp away, an act which only instigates the wasp to charge tenfold. Basically, anxiety is maintained and intensified mostly through the mere way in which we respond to it. Hence the recommendation to come see a therapist to who can walk you through a different conversation and hopefully, understanding of anxiety in general.
This analogy of anxiety behaving like a wasp organized the way I have worked with clients dealing with anxiety. I have spoken to colleagues about their approaches to treating anxiety in clients. They all share one thing in common: they are invested doing something. They must intervene targeting anxiety directly. This way, the treatment of anxiety becomes a shoe-fitting contest which only serves to intensify anxiety with every shoe that does not fit.

Through therapy, when dealing with the unwelcome guest called anxiety, I work with you to learn “to do” nothing in order for anxiety to not find the esistance it thrives on.

Wanna talk more about this? Call Thriveworks and schedule a first appointment. I’ll be glad to mee you. Regards,

Dr. Juan O. Turon, LMFT