Acupuncture at Chapel Hill, NC
Everybody experiences pain and suffering—some of us more often than not and due to our day-to-day habits: crouching over our desks at work, slouching on the couch at home, straining our necks to get the best view of the TV or phone or any given device. As a result, our backs start to ache; our necks become stiff; our bodies endure generally uncomfortable states. And oftentimes, we just don’t know what to do about it—which leads to our doing nothing about it. But what a world of difference it makes when we assume proactivity instead and get the help that we need.
“Being proactive is more than taking initiative. It is recognizing that we are responsible for our own choices and have the freedom to choose based on principles and values rather than on moods or condition. Proactive people are agents of change and choose not to be victims, to be reactive, or to blame others.”
Instead of enduring this pain, make the proactive decision to stop the suffering and find relief through acupuncture at Thriveworks Chapel Hill. This form of treatment has proven to alleviate varying levels of pain and is likely to improve life as you know it. See for yourself by reaching out to us: we understand how helpful it can be to work with a skilled healthcare provider and so we offer a range of beneficial services including acupuncture. Give Thriveworks Chapel Hill a call and a scheduling specialist will set you up with a dedicated professional who is ready and eager to help.
Capitalizing on Acupuncture Treatment
Simply put, acupuncture is the practice of stimulating different points on the body for pain relief. This is usually done through the insertion of tiny needles, but acupuncturists also use other means like electrical impulses, firm rubbing, and laser light. These interventions have proven to help with different types of physical pain—from low-back pain to neck pain, knee pain, and headaches—as well as emotional suffering. Let’s delve deeper into the most common ailments and how acupuncture can help:
1. Low-back pain: As mentioned previously, many people suffer with back pain due to crouching and slouching, or more simply bad posture. Fortunately, though, acupuncture can help. In 2010, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality determined that this service effectively relieves low-back pain—especially when paired with normal care, such as that you receive from your primary care doctor as well as healthy self-care practices. Here are a few tips for capitalizing on the benefits you receive in acupuncture:
- Sit and stand up straight.
- Stretch regularly.
- Stay active and eat healthy.
- Take a break and lie down when necessary.
- Know when it’s time to visit your doctor.
2. Neck pain: This is another negative effect many of us experience from looking down at our phones or craning our necks at work all day—but acupuncture is also successful in treating neck pain. As with relieving low-back pain, you should take additional steps to care for your neck and avoid further strain. Here are a few keys for doing so:
- Improve your posture. You can do this by sitting up straight and taking a break from sitting a few times every hour.
- Implement relaxation strategies. Several examples include practicing breathing techniques, taking warm baths, and meditating.
3. Stress: A major factor in emotional wellbeing is stress: we all experience stress and anxiety, but what really makes a difference is how we handle it. In addition to providing relief for physical pain, acupuncture has proven to alleviate stress, making it a proactive solution to dealing with our daily stressors. As with the previous two, you can take further action to manage stress at home and capitalize on acupuncture treatment:
- Stay on top of your priorities, so as to prevent anxiety that stems from procrastinating.
- Practice mindfulness, which is to simply live in the moment and focus on the here and now.
- Exercise regularly to lower stress hormones, improve sleep quality, and boost your confidence.
- Engage in deep breathing, which will allow you to focus on slowing your breath and heart rate.
How Does Acupuncture Work?
As previously mentioned, acupuncturists stimulate specific points on the body (usually using needles) to relieve people of pain and aid in the body’s natural healing process. Additionally, acupuncture is used to alleviate stress and treat emotional issues. This practice accomplishes these goals by…
- Promoting the release of “feel-good” hormones, or endorphins, which lends a mood boost and pain relief.
- Stimulating nerves, which promotes the growth of healthier tissue.
- Supporting a healthy immune system to ensure its proper response to varying conditions.
- Restoring the body’s normal balance and functioning to promote healing.
Exact treatment is determined on a case-by-case basis, depending on symptoms, conditions, and goals. But at your initial consultation, you and your provider will get the chance to discuss all of these factors, decide on an appropriate approach, and then start treatment.
Finding Refuge at Thriveworks Chapel Hill
Acupuncture has proven its ability to help individuals manage a variety of problems, from severe pain to muscle discomfort to debilitating stress. And there’s no reason why you can’t be another success story. If you’re suffering from any form or degree of pain, think about working with an acupuncturist at Thriveworks Chapel Hill: it will serve as one proactive step toward healing.
What do you say? If you’re ready to begin the journey, call Thriveworks Chapel Hill to schedule an appointment. A scheduling specialist will be delighted to set you up with an exceptional chiropractor who knows just how to help you.