Akron Psychiatry—Psychiatrists in Akron, OH
On any given day, our life can change. There is no way of knowing when we might succumb to the loss of a loved one, a traumatic experience, and other events that come with negative emotions and other harmful effects.
It’s helpful to remember that there is at least one thing in our control: Our response to these disturbances and their aftermath. When we are inundated with mental health challenges, we can reach out for mental health help.
Psychiatrists are mental health professionals who are experts at helping people through these difficult times. At Thriveworks, these experts are also compassionate individuals who truly care about the trajectory of your life.
If you think that you could benefit from talking to a psychiatrist in Akron, OH, reach out to Thriveworks. We have online psychiatrists who are board certified and able to help anyone in the state of Ohio. To schedule your appointment, call (614) 428-0624.
What Is Psychiatry?
Psychiatry is a branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of psychological disturbances. Those who practice psychiatry are fittingly called psychiatrists. They are medical doctors who specialize in the field of mental health and are qualified to evaluate the physical and mental factors of one’s mental problems.
Psychiatrists join the medical teams at many different medical centers, including hospitals, rehabs, nursing homes, and private practices.
People receive psychiatric care for many different reasons. These individuals might suffer from anxiety, hallucinations, sadness, anger and aggression, panic attacks, and other harmful symptoms that make normal functioning unpleasant or difficult.
What Do Psychiatrists Do to Help?
As we mentioned earlier, psychiatrists specialize in diagnosing, treating, and preventing mental health conditions.
- Diagnosis: To diagnose their clients, psychiatrists can conduct a range of psychological tests in addition to receiving a self-report of symptoms from the individual. This allows them to fully understand the state of one’s mental and physical health and make a diagnosis.
- Treatment: Once a psychiatrist makes a diagnosis or has the full picture of what one is dealing with, they can design a plan of treatment for the individual. This treatment plan will likely involve therapy, medication, or both. Therapy helps one get to the root of their problem and work their way back to a healthier place. Medication, on the other hand, is meant to improve one’s symptoms while they learn to manage their condition in therapy.
- Prevention: Psychiatrists can also offer prevention help. If one catches concerning changes in thoughts, behaviors, or feelings early, a psychiatrist can help to prevent these unhealthy changes from progressing into a mental illness. They can also offer treatment for one’s condition and prevent it from worsening.
If you could benefit from a psychiatrist’s services—which often involve diagnosis, treatment, prevention, or all of the above—schedule an appointment. These professionals offer a safe, nonjudgmental space for opening up about your issues and learning to manage them.
What Disorders Do Psychiatrists Treat?
Psychiatrists have a diverse clientele. They can help people with a range of mental health disorders, but the following are some of the most common:
- Mood disorders including depression and bipolar disorder
- Personality disorders including narcissistic personality disorder and avoidant personality disorder
- Anxiety disorders including generalized anxiety disorder and social anxiety
- Substance abuse problems and addiction
- Psychotic disorders like schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder
No matter what type of mental disorder you have, they all come with uncomfortable or unpleasant symptoms. You don’t have to put up with these uncomfortable and unpleasant symptoms. You can learn to manage and improve them with a psychiatrist.
Schedule a Psychiatry Appointment at Thriveworks in Akron, OH
Thriveworks Counseling can set you up with a psychiatrist now. If you reside in or near Akron, you can work with any online psychiatrist in the state of Ohio. Online psychiatrists conduct their sessions online, including over the phone and via video chat.
If you’d like to schedule a telehealth session with one of our psychiatrists, reach out to Thriveworks Counseling in Akron, OH now. You can call our team at (614) 428-0624 and a scheduling specialist will assist you.